aidan-gregory

Swansea University Pole Fitness Society re-instated

Society accused of being linked to sex-industry

Swansea University students have voted to allow their Pole-Fitness Society to be given back its Students’ Union affiliation after losing it for being ‘linked’ to the “sex industry”.

The referendum, which saw a majority of 132 to 10 in favour, was put to the student body after the Union admitted its decision to ban the Pole-Fitness society from being affiliated with the SU was “wrong”.

The original decision to bar the pole fitness society was taken at a Swansea University Students’ Union Trustee Meeting in September, but the decision only became public late last month.

In the letter issued by the Students’ Union (SUSU) to the society the SU had argued that pole-fitness society was to be removed due to its “inextricable link to the multi-million pound sex industry”.

It went on further, “although ‘pole fitness’ is sold as an empowering activity, we believe that women have been deceived into thinking this is a way of taking charge of their sexuality and their own decisions.

“As a Students’ Union, we should not be deaf to the very real issue of ‘pole fitness’ playing a part in upholding this ‘Raunch Culture’ and objectification of women and girls and the impact of this on our female students.”

The decision immediately caused uproar at the University, and anger from the national pole-fitness community.

Bethan Morris, President of the Pole Fitness Society at the University, in an interview with SU-TV, argued, “the aspects of the letter where they insinuate that if you partake in a pole-fitness class, you’re basically putting yourself at risk of domestic and sexual violence is absolutely ridiculous.”

Also, she said “pole fitness is in no way associated with the sex industry” and “the idea that we’ve hoodwinked young girls into coming is also absolutely ludicrous.”

Sam Remmar from Pole Dance Community (PDC) weighed in to the argument.

In an open letter to the SUSU, he wrote, “We would like to question why you think the society does not promote gender equality when the group takes on both male and female members and is clear in its promotion. We also noticed you have a cheer leading society which is still active and only takes on female members.”

The letter gave the student governing body three options – justify the decision, admit they were wrong, or all tender their resignations.

Following the result of the vote, the pole fitness society will be reinstated with immediate effect.