pippa-allen-kinross
3rd February 2014

Snowden stands for Glasgow Uni election

The former NSA agent has been nominated for the position of student rector

Edward Snowden is standing for the position of student rector at Glasgow University.

If elected, the National Security Agency whistleblower – who is currently under temporary asylum in Russia – will represent the interests of the students for three years.

The student rectors duties include attending the University court, working closely with the students’ representative council and raising student concerns to management.

On the Glasgow University’s Student Representative Council Website, it says: “Glasgow students have often voted on a principle of honouring heroes, resulting in the election of rectors who were not expected to chair Court or take an active part in the role as they have been unable to leave their country”.

Previous rectors have included Winnie Madikizela-Mandela and Israeli nuclear whistleblower Mordechai Vanunu.

Snowden’s nomination was arranged through his lawyer by a group of students.

In a statement, the students responsible for nominating him said: “Edward Snowden’s candidacy is a unique opportunity to show our gratitude to a brave whistleblower.

“He has shown a spirit of daring and self-sacrifice that is virtually absent in our public life.

We call on Glasgow University students as individuals, and all student bodies committed to ending state intrusion into our pubic lives, to declare their support for Edward Snowden’s candidacy”.

Snowden has also just been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize, for his contribution to “a more stable and peaceful world order”.

He first hit the headlines last year, when he fled the United States after revealing the level of internet and phone surveillance by the security forces.

For the position of student rector, Snowden will be standing against author Alan Bissett, clergyman Kevin Holdsworth and cyclist Graeme Obree.

The post is currently held by former Liberal Democrat leader Charles Kennedy.

Voting is due to take place over the 17th and 18th of February.

A rundown of LeadMCR election results night

The eight new SU Exec Officers were revealed on March 7 after two weeks of campaigning, as well as the seven NUS Representatives and the winners of the Union’s LeadMCR Alternative Awards

College Roundup: US edition

Enjoying this year’s University Round-ups? Here you can have a look across the pond at some of the drama from American Colleges

Manchester researchers find majority of women experience abuse while running

Over two-thirds of women in the study had been abused while running, with 58% reporting verbal abuse

Your new Exec team: LeadMCR 2024 results

Eight Exec Officers and seven NUS reps have been elected for LeadMCR 2024/25