ben-allan

Live: Swing Ting presents Zed Bias

Zed Bias spins an eclectic set for Swing Ting

17th January

Soup Kitchen

9/10

Following a string of stellar bookings in 2013 including Spooky and DJ Q, Swing Ting returned to the Soup Kitchen basement for their first dance of 2014 and it didn’t disappoint. A sell-out crowd greeted Manchester legend Zed Bias, who topped the bill alongside residents Samrai, Platt and Joey Bashment, with Fox on MC duties.  As I arrived the basement was already full and Platt was setting the pace with a fine hip-hop selection, followed by Samrai with a blend of soca and bashment that has become synonymous with the Swing Ting honcho.

By the time headliner Zed Bias stepped up for his two hour set the party was in full swing. Bias has gained contemporary fame through a number of releases on Loefah’s Swamp 81 label showcasing a sound grounded in House and Techno; most recent being his acclaimed album ‘Boss’, but he reminded Swing Ting why he is one of the godfathers of UK garage. Wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with the words ‘Boss – Zed Bias’ he played anthem after anthem including: ‘Together’ – 24 Hour Experience, ‘Urban Hero’ – Jameson and his own smash-hit ‘Neighbourhood’ which arguably got reaction of the night as it was pulled back.

In the second hour Bias moved towards the sound more recognisable from him now, playing tunes such as Boddika & Joy O’s ‘Mercy (VIP)’ as he wound his way from garage, UK funky and grime to house and techno. He finally ended his set with a few ragga tunes, a nod towards to the resident sounds of Swing Ting before relinquishing control to Joey Bashment for the last half hour, playing dancehall and bashment to keep the party going. The energy in the Soup Kitchen basement was palpable all night long, a testament to Swing Ting’s ability to throw a first-rate party time after time. I’m eagerly waiting to see what the next dance brings.

Northern Music Awards 2024: Celebrating breakthrough acts, chart-topping superstars, and the people behind the scenes

Celebrating northern music in all of its charm, Nordoff and Robbins host the 2024 Northern Music Awards in Manchester’s city centre