ben-walker

Lunch time hot spots: somewhere a little different.

Eat well in 2014. Start by trying these three great lunch time alternatives to the baked potato.

Whether you breezed into 2014 carefree or have been held captive by revision in the year’s inaugural month, a student still gotta eat. With loans in and end of year assessments miles away now is the perfect time to explore, maybe a little off the beaten track, to see what is out there.

Our city’s culinary naissance has been a delicious explosion of Michelin aspiring ten course taster menus all the way down to trendy fish and chip bars and everything in-between. And though James Martin and Aidan Byrne have moved in, here, for now, I will offer up some of the best casual places for either grabbing a bite, longer lunches, or full afternoon sessions of gorging.

For all of the new, there is a select few of the old that have continued to shine bright. Nowhere epitomises this more so than Soup Kitchen (31-33 Spear Street, Manchester, M1 1DF). The cool, partly subterranean kitchen operates a canteen service, a bar, and long communal tables where a cross section of students, the NQ set, and those from the office congregate for a sublime selection of good eats.

Why dip bread into soup when you dunk a door wedge sandwich? It is just this logic that has got Soup Kitchen into this elite group of diners. Soups made daily and are rich and wholesome, the sandwich menu is full of well executed classics—and though either on their own make for a nice lunch, when combined you preside over one of best British lunches in Manchester. There of course is a whole range of daily specials, salads, and stews but I always find myself unable to resist the seductive soup and a sandwich.

If lunch, for whatever reason, must be found and eaten at more of a canter than say the ambling of SK, you busy students look no further than Umami for Japanese splendour (149-153 Oxford Rd, Manchester M1 7EE). Umami literally mean delicious taste, I can have no qualms with such a boisterous name after a recent visit.

The 2 course lunch deal is super value and super tasty. There are soft gyoza dumplings, filled with pork and water chestnuts with a pokey dipping chilli sauce. The chicken yakitori, often used as a bar snack, are little skewers of poultry delight. Last time I had the chicken ramen, served with a deeply savoury soup, soft and tender chicken, and greens. Such a bowl of warming friendliness is thoroughly revitalising on such wet dreary days.

Umami relies on university lunch time trade and thus execute a very efficient and brisk service, and when it comes down to it, for 2 courses off the lunch deal at £5.95, this is real value for money.

Now, Tex-Mex is taking off in a big way across the spectrum, and whilst Barburrito remains as good a burrito in the North West, Changos is offer some stiff competition. Situated just past the Palace Theatre (91-93 St. James Building, Oxford Street, Manchester, M1 6FQ) this joint is almost on our doorstep.

The vast blanket of tortilla is dressed with all the vivid colours and bright flavours that is the signature of Mexican food. Since each ‘little donkey’ is assembled to order, you call the shots of the filling and thus whether you’re a heat-freak, an extra guacamole kinda guy, or an ‘Athletico’ brown rice and wholemeal wrap sort of gal, Changos has you covered, so mariachi yourself up Oxford Road to Changos. 

Brunch at Santé: A slice of sun

Santé offers the perfect spot for a sunny al fresco brunch, topped off with student-budget friendly deals and a brilliantly Mediterranean inspired menu

Giving ‘Too Good To Go’ a go!

Is ‘Too Good To Go’ the sustainable, money saving app that students need to download?