Review: All Our Friends Are Dead

Jessica Wheeler reviews ‘All Our Friends Are Dead’ at The Lowry, as part of re:play festival

Katie Norris and Sinead Parker became friends at Manchester School of Theatre, where they graduated in 2009. They describe their comedy as ‘off-beat, dark and ridiculous.’ Winner of Best Comedy Sketch Show at the 3 minute Theatre Awards, this original piece has been well received at the Manchester Fringe, Camden Fringe and the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

All Our Friends Are Dead is an extremely funny and imaginative piece of comedy. Marrying live music with particularly dark satirical humour, the show breathes new life into the comedy sketch genre. Norris and Parker do not hold back, they possess a fearlessness that is essential in comedy. Their dubious characterisations and renditions of Disney classics make for an unpredictable and deliriously funny show. Particularly entertaining was their sketch of two suspicious widows singing a medley of songs, with lyrics inspired by the deaths of their husbands. The live band were used in some of the comical material and contributed to the strange, unique atmosphere of the show. However, the performance probably would have been sufficiently engaging without them.

Norris and Parker compliment one another magnificently. Their strong, quirky relationship makes this show what it is:  a dynamic stream of madness and hilarity. The duo, resembling a young French and Saunders, maintained an excellent energy and humour throughout; it was captivating. They speak a comedy language that is both familiar and fresh. The performance had an edge; it felt uninhibited and truly original.

Definitely look out for these two.

www.norrisandparker.com

re:play festival, brought to you by The Lowry and The Library Theatre Company continues until the 1st of February, bringing together the best of Manchester and Salford’s fringe theatre from the past year.