Live: Childish Gambino

Childish Gambino was made for live performances; his singing was recording worthy and his rapping was full of passion.

Gorilla

05/02/2014

8/10

Childish Gambino, also known as the actor and comedian Donald Glover, thrilled fans at his latest gig in Manchester this month. After his extremely successful ‘Camp’ album, his dedicated followers were keen to see what the rapper had in store for them with his latest release ‘Because the Internet’. In many ways this did not disappoint, with some tracks like ‘Sweatpants’, and ‘WORLDSTAR’ sure to get the crowds going!

After a long wait in the relatively small venue of Gorilla, with no support act or hype, Childish Gambino appeared on stage. A live band stood behind him and begun the dramatic drum beat of the track ‘Crawl’, from his latest album. The crowd was very responsive, in part due to the intimate size of the gig, but also because the track itself was the perfect song to begin with. The rapper then proceeded to please the crowd with many of the most heavy tracks from his new album, but surprisingly delighted fans with some of the most famous tracks from ‘Camp’, such as ‘Heartbeat’, and ‘Bonfire’. It goes without saying that the room soon felt electric with excitement!

After his set ended, the crowd screamed for more and an appreciative Childish Gambino emerged once more to end with a bang, by playing some of his favourite tracks from his old album ‘Royalty’. This was something die-hard fans were waiting for. On top of this Gambino, proceeded to rile the crowd even more by producing some verses written just for his fans in Manchester.

Though at times the mic was perhaps not quite loud enough, it was clear that Childish Gambino was made for live performances; his singing was recording worthy and his rapping was full of passion. In short; an amazing gig, with an amazing artist.