nikki-patel
22nd February 2014

NYFW: Rodarte reds

Beauty lover Nikki Patel recreates one of NYFW’s most beautiful looks.

New York fashion week defines what will be this season’s biggest trends not only in terms of style, but in the beauty world too. Backstage, makeup artists work tirelessly to create cutting edge and jaw dropping looks which, combined with the sartorial prowess of stylists and designers, create an unforgettable aesthetic that characterises New York’s runways. This season, beauty is bolder than ever and I have chosen to create a tutorial based on the whimsical nostalgia of the ‘bruised smokey eye’ as seen at Rodarte.

Step 1:

After priming your peepers, generously apply a deep, rich matte brown shadow all over your lids, blending it out towards the brown bone with a soft, round brush. Bring this colour down below your lower lash line to create a heavy, doe eye effect. Define your brows with either a pencil or eye shadow that complements your natural brow shade and slanted brush. Apply mascara heavily to upper and lower lashes, wiggling from side to side to achieve more volume and oomph.

Step 2:

Apply a cream eye shadow in a pink/brown hue such as Maybelline Colour Tattoo in Metallic Pomegranate  all over your lids using your fingers. The creamy consistency means that the colour will appear bolder and more pigmented, as well as being more resilient. Again, bring this under your eyes using a small brush and into the inner corners. Don’t worry too much about precision and clean lines, the look at Rodarte was very liberally applied to create that ‘bruised’ effect.

Step 3:

Defining and highlighting is always my favourite part as it really adds vivacity to the eyes. Grab a deep red/purple eyeliner and liberally line the upper and lower lash lines in fast, short strokes. Then line the water line with a black kohl liner to create a dark shadow affect around the eye and add intensity.

Step 4:

Finally, apply a burgundy shade to your lips. The darker the shade, the more intense and vampy your look will appear. At Rodarte, the models actually sported metallic lips, and if you dare, I would recommend pressing a fine shimmery pigment such as Mac ..in over the lipstick to add a futuristic feel to an otherwise nostalgic look. Pair this with feminine lace, pastels and pleats and give those New York fashionistas a run for their money.

Zendaya and the art of theme dressing

Are Zendaya and stylist Law Roach the fashion worlds answer to Lennon and McCartney?

Does Hailey Bieber’s Rhode phone case signal the death of the handbag?

Hailey Bieber’s latest release, a phone case specially designed to fit a lip product, is just the next step in the ever-shrinking bag trend of recent years. Does this signal the handbag’s ultimate demise?

Get to know Oddmuse: Aimee Smale on doing ‘what people aren’t expecting’

London-based slow-fashion brand Oddmuse took off over lockdown on TikTok and other social media platforms – I picked founder Aimee’s brain on how to break into the fashion industry and her future vision for Oddmuse