Oscars 2014 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

Mark McGrath tips Jared Leto to take home the golden trophy on Sunday night

In a stark and refreshing contrast to last year, the nominees for this year’s best supporting actor oscar consist of fresh faces, up-and-comers and stars just reaching their prime. In many regards, it renders this category one of the most open and interesting races this year due to the diversity of characters that they have brought to the screen.

Every year without fail, there is an actor that appears out of nowhere and knocks your socks off. In 2013, that honour belonged to Barkhad Abdi, who was utterly terrifying and convincing as Muse, the Somali pirate in Captain Phillips.

Bradley Cooper, nominated for his role in American Hustle, may be a surprising choice for some, primarily because his role is more of a comical one. However, Academy rules seemingly dictate that if you play one of the four main characters in a David O. Russell film, you will be nominated!

In another comical role, Jonah Hill’s nomination for The Wolf of Wall Street may also come as a surprise, but maybe not for those acquainted with his work in other critical darlings such as Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story and Get Him to the Greek. Others may be confused as to why Jonah Hill’s teeth in ‘Wolf’ did not receive any accolades.

Michael Fassbender earns his nomination for his role in 12 Years a Slave due to his intense and frightening performance. Between this and last year’s Shame, it appears Fassbender has quite the talent for playing sexually-frustrated creeps!

Perhaps the most “oscar-friendly” role belongs to Jared Leto, who returned from a six-year film hiatus for his role in Dallas Buyers Club. After being showered with numerous awards, it appears that Leto is the front-runner, although previous experience tells us that trying to predict the winner is a fool’s errand!