Get the look: Brigitte Bardot

Beauty guru Millie Kershaw shows us how to get an iconic Parisian look on a student budget.

The veritable Tour Eiffel of style icons and the original sex kitten, Brigitte Bardot is synonymous with sixties style and Parisian chic. Here is a guide to achieve the effortless look of none other than BB herself on a student budget.

Sixties makeup was all about doe eyes and a powdered, velvety finish. Prep the skin and be sure to apply powder after your base makeup. The Rimmel Stay Matte powder in Transparent will set your makeup and keep everything shine-free, without adding any extra coverage. The skin should still look fresh and life-like.

Image: Boots

Image: Boots

For the eyes, keep the brows natural as all attention should be focussed on the liner. Firstly, contour the eyelid with a matte, taupe/grey shade through the crease, before going in with a black kohl pencil. The Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof eyeliner is an intense black and won’t budge all day. Apply liberally to the top lash line and blend with a cotton bud to soften and neaten the edge.

To get the iconic feline flick, use a gel eyeliner to trace a thin line along the roots of the lashes, thickening and extending from the outer corner. Use what eyeliner is remaining on the cotton bud to blend lightly along your bottom lash line, leaving the waterline clear. Apply lashings of mascara as well as false lashes if you wish for the ultimate sixties flutter.

Back to the face, BB’s skin always had a sun-kissed glow; as if she had just stepped off a St Tropez beach (she is famed for popularising the bikini after all). Use a warm-toned bronzer through the back of the cheek bones, temples and forehead. For something typically French and decently priced, try Bourjois’ Delice de Poudre. It looks (and apparently smells) like a chocolate bar. Finish off the cheeks with a peachy blusher. Natural Collection’s blush in Peach Melba is the perfect matte sixties shade, and an absolute bargain at just £1.99.

Finally: the lips. Trace your lip line with a nude lip liner to enhance the shape and mimic Brigitte’s signature pout, then follow with a nude lipstick. Try MAC lipstick in Myth for the perfect matte pout.

shopping

Et voilà!

(All images writer’s own unless stated otherwise)