Top 5: Cleaning Scenes

George takes us through the cleanest scenes in cinema history

5. American Hustle (2013)

The art of the effective cleaning scene is to imbue the mundane tasks of the everyday with a cinematic flair which evokes such actions as the most exciting thing possible. Jennifer Lawrence, hypnotically head-banging her hair with heart sings along to Live And Let Die in a fashion many would hope reflects their own domestic glamour.

4. Mary Poppins (1964)

American culture has a long history dolling out catchy hymns used to motivate and seduce their soldiers, athletes, and congregations. Disney, with A Spoonful Of Sugar marks a very “English” anthem for domestic discipline. Sing it to your lazy flatmate and you may just find yourself with an energized teammate. Or an insulted one, it depends on their hangover.

3. Enchanted (2007)

Applying the magic of a Disney princess’s communion with nature to the location of Manhattan, the cuteness normally associated with the Disney world is stretched to surreal extremes as rats, cockroaches, and pigeons assist in harmonious unison in the great clean-up of a bachelor pad.

2. Mrs Doubtfire (1993)

Recreating this scene in full dress immediately ensures housekeeping is ten times more fun. However, it also makes it ten times more ineffective, as Robin Williams may hoover that one strip of carpet with style, but there’s a dangerous dearth of efficiency to his techniques.

1. Pulp Fiction (1994)

If you can associate with this scene – the old “oops I accidently shot someone in the face, and now I have to clean my car before the police see” – then you certainly have a more interesting life than I. Tarantino’s guidance however, does have its bizarre authenticity, since through the instruction of Mr Wolf, we all have the necessary information to get ourselves out of this possible mess. Thank you Tarantino, always the mentor.