Top 5: John Travolta Blunders

Aside from launching the career of Adele Dazeem, Mr Travolta has many other notable cock-ups to his name. Charlotte gives us her Top 5

5. Hairspray (2007)

Perhaps one of the most awkward cinema selections is the casting of Travolta as Edna Turnblad in Hairspray, his second, and hopefully last musical appearance! Although Travolta valiantly pulls of this role of the middle-aged housebound mother, the distinct lack of chemistry between him and Hollywood great, Christopher Walken is evident – they’re certainly not timeless to anyone watching.

4. Grease (1979)

In Grease, a clumsy Travolta strikes again, literally. During his suave attempt to offer Sandy his ring, even Danny’s greased (lightnin’) hair struggles to loosen it from his finger, resulting in him elbowing Sandy in the chest. Poor old Sandra Dee.

3. Face/Off (1997)

As though it isn’t bad enough for an actor to work alongside Nicholas Cage: a star so notoriously bad he even has an internet meme in his honour, Travolta takes this one step further by switching identities with him in Face/Off (1997). FBI agent Archer (Travolta) attempts to undermine his nemesis, Caster Troy (Cage) through the assumption of his enemy’s appearance: ‘It’s like looking in a mirror. Only not.’

2. Pulp Fiction (1994)

Pulp Fiction is a film with many remarkable lines and moments, but possibly one of the most memorable is the scene where Travolta’s Vincent accidentally shoots Marvin in the face. I Guess we’ll never know what he had to say about Jules’ retirement plans.

1. Academy Awards (2014)

At number one has to be Travolta’s most recent pronunciation mishap, which made him a laughing stock across the world as his Oscar’s clip went viral within hours. Idina Menzel’s name isn’t so hard to remember, yet Travolta clearly ‘let it go’ out of his mind, instead introducing, ‘Adele Dazeem’ to the stage. Let’s just be thankful he didn’t have to announce Chiwetel Ejiofor instead!