Three Chocolate Brownie Cake

Josephine Harrington shares with us her signature brownie cake; containing three types of chocolate it is sure to win over your friends on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Before the guests descend!

Before the guests descend!

Who doesn’t love a chocolate brownie? This chocolate brownie cake recipe close to my heart, the beauty of this recipe is that it’s always a crowd pleaser and doesn’t require a million eggs, gelatin or posh chocolate–Supermarket basics cheap chocolate works great.

I have made it a few times now for a big group of people and have simply served it on a wooden chopping board and given everyone a spoon. It’s nice and social and saves on the washing up, and always goes down a treat!

-100 grams of milk chocolate

-100 grams of white chocolate

-100 grams of dark chocolate

-175 grams of unsalted butter (⅓ of a block)

-3 eggs

-1.5 cups of caster sugar

-0.5 cup of plain flour

-Preheat the oven to 170c

-Set up a bain-marie (a pan with boiling water with a bowl rested over the top) and melt the all of the dark and half of the milk chocolate and the butter together. Make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water and be careful not to burn the chocolate.

-Whisk 3 eggs and caster sugar together until thick and creamy. Allow the chocolate mixture to cool slightly before folding in the beaten eggs and sugar until well mixed and the colour is consistent.

-Break the remainder of the milk chocolate and all of the white chocolate into chunks and fold into the chocolate mixture. You can do this this slapping the chocolate, in its packet, against the kitchen work surface.

-Sieve the plain flour into the cake mix and fold in (trying to keep some air in the mixture, so fold deep and light).

-Cook at 170 degrees centigrade for about 25 minutes. Remember it is not like baking any old  cake–the best way to check when the brownie is done is with a knife, you don’t want it to come out clean, you are looking for the inside to be cooked but still gooey with nuggets of melted chocolate. Once out of the oven, the longer you leave the brownie to stand the firmer the insides become.

Eat either on its own with a spoon as a super-indulgent splurge, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to make a scrumptious dessert, or later on when it has solidified with a cup of coffee.

The feasting begins

The feasting begins