Live: Bombay Bicycle Club

Bombay Bicycle Club did not disappoint loyal fans

20th March

Albert Hall

9/10

Tonight North London based group Bombay Bicycle Club hit the stage at Manchester’s newly renovated Albert Hall. With their current No.1 record So Long, See You Tomorrow tolling them up to four hit albums, there was plenty of diverse old and new material to perform.

The set began with visuals placed on five moon shaped screens, dancing around in the background throughout the whole set, tying in neatly to album artwork. The sold-out crowd were immediately hyped up by the psychedelic, Bollywood sounds of ‘Overdone’- the first track of their latest album. The quavering, heart-wrenching tones of Jack Steadman’s voice were complemented by newest vocal member Liz Lawrence and the inclusion of a brass trio in hits ‘Lights Out, Words Gone’ and ‘Always Like This’.

Loyal fans were not disappointed as older tracks such as ‘What If’ and ‘Lamplight’ had both Bombay and the crowd head bashing.  Older music showed how much the band have moved forward since they first began, contrasting from an initial authentic guitar indie band, to having no shame in the abundant use of electronics.

Steadman took real advantage of Manchester’s beautiful new arena when he sang ‘Eyes Off You’ with a spotlight shining only on him and the piano, amidst atmospheric electric candles in cages scattered across the stage. Support act Rae Morris was invited on stage to help sing most recent buoyant single ‘Luna’, with the life on stage reflecting onto the audience as all were eccentrically dancing and singing along.

The group left the stage modest in appreciation, showing that despite rising to fame in recent years, they are still well grounded and know how to rock a crowd.