patrick-hinton

Ultimate Guide to Freshers’ Week 2014

The unofficial guide for thinking outside the freshers’ pack

MONDAY 

HIT & RUN
Antwerp Mansion – £3/£5

Throw yourself straight into the deep end with a night of dubstep and D&B. Kahn headlines and is sure to bring a selection of rare and exciting dubplates in tow. Med School label signed Manchester student Keeno also features.

Remake Remodel
Soup Kitchen – £3

For those that like to rock, this is the place to be. Expect to hear classic and contemporary rock n roll and alternative bands, from Led Zeppelin and Nirvana to Radiohead and Tame Impala. Free posters will be given out, which will come in handy hiding your breeze blocked accommodation walls.

TUESDAY

Bootleg
Xolo – £1

As a rising star championed by the likes of Annie Mac and Skream, this might be the only chance you get to see Mella Dee for £1. And almost definitely the only chance you get to see him in a Mexican tequila den.

Disco Till Dawn
Antwerp Mansion – £4/£6

Not only you will be treated to a live disco band and dj sets, Disco Till Dawn have booked in a circus tent and performers to entertain through the night. Free drinks for the best 10 fancy dress costumes, get creative.

WEDNESDAY

Hi Ku x Heavy Rain x Groove Kitchen
Mint Lounge – £2

Get into the groove at Mint Lounge as these 3 well loved promoters team up in order to, in their own words, “cut through the vapidity of foam parties, cheap VKs and endless David fucking Guetta that can too often saturate this week”.

Now Wave
Gorilla – £12

If you fancy an earlier night midweek, or a prequel to later debauchery, check out SOHN at Gorilla from 7pm. The 4AD signed producer received rave reviews for his debut album Tremors earlier this year. His live show is sure to match that quality.

THURSDAY

NxNW
Koh Tao – £2

Expect first rate disco and cheap drinks as NxNW host another night at newly named Koh Tao (formerly Wahlbar). Powered by their own system, if you’ve been to almost any house party in Fallowfield in the past year you know what it’s capable of. Get your name written on the Facebook event for £2 entry.

F//CK
FAC251 – 99p before midnight/£5 after

As funds begin to dwindle as the week drags on, a commercial night with £1 drinks begins to look a lot more tempting. Hit up Factory if that’s what you’re after.

FRIDAY

Obscure presents Club Rez
Soup Kitchen – £5/£7

The next generation of Night Slugs producers is on show at Manchester’s best club. The Night Slugs crew are always ahead of the curve, so attend this if you want to hear the future of club music.

Meat Free
Joshua Brooks – £8/£10

Youandewan and DJ October headline as Meat Free take over newly Void sound system powered Joshua Brooks. Expect a dance floor thumping mix of house, bass and techno.

Tribal Sessions
Sankeys – £12/£15

Tribal Sessions take up their Sankeys residency once again to bring more house focused line ups. Shlomi Aber and Axel Boman headline the Basement alongside residents Darius Syrossian and Jozef K. Memorex are hosting Sidney Charles and residents in the upstairs Spektrum.

SATURDAY 

Selective Hearing
Joshua Brooks – £10/£12

3 titans of techno take to the Joshua Brooks basement in a colossal b2b2b. On their own Pariah, Tessela and Kowton are some of the best DJs in the game, the three together is some prospect. This is easily the highlight of the week.

Bohemian Grove
Islington Mill – £10

Bohemian Grove are bringing American James T. Cotton to Islington Mill in celebration of their 4th birthday. One of the most forward thinking promoters in the city, they only book the best. Cotton will spin an experimental and diverse set.

SUNDAY

Zutekh vs Tpot
South – £15

After a number of excellent events this Summer, Zutekh and Tpot are now returning for their final party of the summer. They have a stellar line up with DJ Tennis and Nail headlining. Go out with a bang.

Room 2 & Grand Theft Audio
Antwerp Mansion – Free

Starting at 5pm with a BBQ and open decks until 9pm, Antwerp Mansion then plays host to DJs from Manchester labels Room 2 and Grand Theft Audio for the night. And entry is completely free of charge.

Northern Music Awards 2024: Celebrating breakthrough acts, chart-topping superstars, and the people behind the scenes

Celebrating northern music in all of its charm, Nordoff and Robbins host the 2024 Northern Music Awards in Manchester’s city centre