Freshers to spend £200 on alcohol in first week alone

Freshers at universities across the country are to spend over £200 in their first week on alcohol alone.

New research has found that incoming first year students at universities across the country will spend well over £200 each on alcohol in their first week alone.

The study, carried out by the discount website vouchercodes.com, also states that freshers will on average already have spent well over £1000 on new belongings such as laptops, tablets and a new wardrobe.

Compared with an average of £150 in 2013, students this year are forecast to spend £215.83 on beer, wine and spirits in clubs, pubs and supermarkets in their first week at university.

They will then continue to spend their money on further going out, joining societies and buying academic equipment in the early months of their first year.

It is also estimated that 69 per cent of first years rely on money from their parents and other family members to cover the costs of university and socialising in the first week.

This significant rise in expenditure on social experiences seems to defy what would be expected after the substantial rise in tuition fees to £9000 in 2012.

Amongst other luxuries, the study found that sizable contributors to the huge amount spent in first year includes takeaways, beauty treatments such as tanning and cinema tickets.

Only six per cent of students’ Freshers’ Week budget was spent on food at home last year.

Students in London, normally regarded as significantly more expensive than any other British city, were in fact ranked tenth on the list of the amount the average student spends in their first week, with data coming in at £1499.

In fact, first years at Colchester University spend the most on Freshers’ Week, with average expenditure coming in at £2879, closely followed by Brighton University with £2873.

As well as this, the gap between the sexes was notable. Male students spend almost £600 more than female students, with their average expenditure sitting at £2308.

Anita Naik, consumer editor at vouchercodes, said, “While it’s understandable that students can forget about budgeting…in the long run the huge outlay just isn’t sustainable.”