evie-hull

Spotlight: Manchester Medical Orchestra and Choir

No, they don’t play the bones.

Play an instrument? Want to get it out of its case again? The Manchester Medical Orchestra and Choir is your salvation! 

We hold rehearsals on Monday evenings during term time and play and/or sing a wide range of music, including classical and contemporary. Concerts are performed three times a year across South Manchester, as well as going on tour, all while fitting around the work and exam schedule of a medical student.

There is a great social aspect to Manchester Medical Orchestra and Choir. MMOC includes members across all years of medicine, as well as nursing, midwifery, dentistry and other health-related degrees. In addition, healthcare professionals are also involved. This gives a fantastic opportunity to network across different years and specialities while sharing a common interest. However, this cannot be done without singers or string, woodwind, brass and percussion players! We don’t audition, which means everyone is more than welcome!

The highlight of 2014 has to be the inaugural MMOC tour to Liverpool. Combining the talents from Manchester with the past culture capital made for an exciting weekend of music and tourism, with busking and exploring the town culminating in a final concert on the Sunday afternoon in the famous bombed out church.

For orchestra, the Christmas concert repertoire will include the incredible Scheherazade by Rimsky-Korsakov, and the Roman Carnival Overture by Berlioz. Choir will be singing Fantasia on Christmas Carols by Vaughn-Williams, The Snow by Elgar and highlights from Disney’s ‘Frozen’.

If you would like to be a part of MMOC please email us at [email protected] / [email protected], or join to Facebook group Manchester Medical Orchestra and Choir (MMOC). We look forward to hearing from you!

Post provided by MMOC.

In conversation with the Feminist Collective: “It’s about making sure that no one’s voice goes unheard”

The Mancunion sat down with the University of Manchester’s Feminist Collective to talk about their society values, their plans for the year ahead, and intersectional feminism

Review: Tiramisu (UMDS)

Tiramisu, which was performed at the University of Manchester SU, is an excellently existential adaptation of Annie Baker’s The Antipodes

Review: Skies in the Cloud (UMDS)

Skies in the Cloud exhibits intimate and ethereal themes, showcasing the talent of UMDS students

Review: Stump (UMDS)

The Mancunion reviews Stum, performed by the University of Manchester Drama Society at The Brewers in Gay Village