What’s on

October will be an exciting month for the Manchester theatre scene and the theatre section will not be short of reviews and interviews. Here’s a what to expect in the next two weeks.

30 September: Eric and Little Ern, Manchester Opera House

The Olivier-nominated performance of Morecambe and Wise recreates some of the best moments of Eric and Ernie’s television and stage performances through the use of classic sketches alongside new material devised by the show’s performers. Following two runs at Edinburgh Fringe Festival, two National tours and a West End season, you will certainly have a good night full of laughter.

For: Nostalgic fans of Morcambe and Wise and comedy enthusiasts

Photo: Chanje Kunda

Photo: Chanje Kunda

3, 4 October: Amsterdam, Contact Theatre

Fitting into the theme of Black History Month, Amsterdam is a theatre show that was adapted from Chanje Kunda’s own collection of poetry of the same name and mainly features black artists. Part autobiography, part travelogue, part lyrical drama—this solo performance explores what happens when you abandon your responsibilities to pursue your dreams.

For: People with a love of poetry

Photo: 3MT

Photo: 3MT

9, 10, 11 October: Iris, Three Minute Theatre

A drama based on real events, it is about love, life, relationships and conversations of two women named Iris and Sarah in a pub. The play has themes of betrayal, manipulation and physical abuse, but also love and friendship. There is a real roller coaster of a journey for many of the characters in the play and although dark themes are explored, there are elements of comedy relief to depict real life.

For: Fans of theatrical realism

Photo: Octagon Theatre Bolton

Photo: Octagon Theatre Bolton

9 October – 1 November: Early One Morning, Octagon Theatre Bolton

Continuing their commemoration of the anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War, the Octagon Theatre features the performance Early One Morning, the true story of a 26-year-old soldier James Smith from Bolton who, after three years of fighting in some of the War’s fiercest battles, finds himself on trial for his life.

For: Avid historians and catharsis seekers