will-kelly

Can’t get into a University team? Don’t sweat!

There’s a whole host of other leagues to get involved in

Sadly, university sport teams operate on a different level to what you may have experienced in school or college. Trials are a shambles. For most teams, your trial would be you in your most hung over state, lumping your body around and trying to stand out in the midst of thousands. Schools and colleges, however, allow you the opportunity to show that you can improve on a weekly basis. Try not to be hard on yourself if you don’t get into the team straight away because it is difficult. Having been told to my face that I would most likely be in, I was really aggrieved to find out that I hadn’t made it, even more so because I found this out online.

But it’s certainly not the end of the world as the University runs very competitive leagues for societies. In terms of football, the standard is very competitive with 50 teams playing across five divisions. Playing at Wythenshawe sports ground, games come thick and fast as you’re not only competing in the league but there are also numerous cup competitions to play in. Other sports include rugby and netball, and there are also chances to participate in mixed hockey and mixed basketball teams. This is a great way to meet new people and the socials are certainly interesting! So get involved and get playing!