dan-whiteley

Live: These Ghosts

These Ghosts’ knack for intricate arrangements and soaring hooks is impressive

8th October

Soup Kitchen

7.5/10

Following the unveiling of their three-years-in-the-making second album Still the Waves last month, These Ghosts have been supporting the release on a nationwide tour with math rockers Tall Ships. The Soup Kitchen show was the first of four dates—as well being the band’s first ever appearance in Manchester—and all signs point towards the Norfolk three-piece being one to watch out for in the near future.

Despite being tonight’s support act, by the time These Ghosts began, the venue’s infamously tiny basement was already crowded. Relying heavily on their latest release, they opened with ‘The Great Unknown’, with its restless, fidgety rhythm section and nimble guitar work setting the tone for the rest of the set. In a live setting, the Radiohead comparisons ring even truer; every band member constantly juggled operating carefully layered samplers and synthesizers in addition to their main instruments, and frontman Calum Duncan seemingly came onstage equipped with both Thom Yorke’s expressive falsetto and hipster ponytail.

The shuffling beat and haunting lullaby vocals of lead single ‘Coat of Feathers’ was an early highlight, and ’Safe’ will no doubt quickly become a live staple for the band, with an airy, euphoric chorus and swirling guitars that would sound at home in venues much larger than their current billing commands. The piano heavy, glitchy rhythmed ballad ‘Gold Heart Green Skin’ followed soon after, before closer ‘Where Two Lines Meet’ showcased Harry Hall’s frantic drumming in what is perhaps the band’s most propulsive track to date.

Only two albums in, These Ghosts’ knack for intricate arrangements and soaring hooks is already impressive, and although seeing an up and coming band in an intimate setting is always enjoyable, it wouldn’t be surprising to see the band visiting larger venues next time they decide to venture up north.