patrick-hinton

Club: Matthew Herbert

Herbert reigned in his experimentalist tendencies and span a very dancefloor focused set

17th October

Joshua Brooks

7/10

Joshua Brooks continued their stunning hot streak of bookings this year by bringing a true genius to their basement. Famed predominantly as a producer, Matthew Herbert has been consistently pushing the boundaries of electronic music with his experimentalist style for nearly two decades. The reasonably small but reverent crowd assembled – “Matthew Herbert at Joshua Brooks! I can’t believe it!” I overhear – perhaps shows he’s a figure who doesn’t procure wide appeal, but all those who appreciate him do so deeply.

Performing a DJ set tonight, I was excited to see whether his selection skills matched up to his production prowess. I was also slightly wary: with my only reference point of a Herbert DJ set being his Boiler Room in the British Library Sound Archive in which he used five million unique recordings of things as varied as woodworms to world war bombers. Not exactly club ready.

As it turned out, Herbert reigned in his experimentalist tendencies and span a very dancefloor focused set of house and techno. Drawing from his experience in these genres he pulled out classics such as ‘Erotic Discourse’ and ‘Feel My MF Bass’ – the latter establishing a theme of motherfucking in the set following the airing of Mike Dunn’s ‘Phreaky MF’.

His mixing was by no means flawless, but his selection was on point. DHS’s ‘House Of God’ drew a strong reaction, and closing on NY Stomp’s remix of ‘Child’ was an enjoyable surprise. Enough time had passed for the once overplayed song but undeniable anthem to round the set off in an unexpected and effective fashion.

Liam Gallagher and John Squire: Not quite a match made in Britpop Heaven

After the much anticipated collaboration between Oasis’ Liam Gallagher and John Squire, of Stone Roses fame, the LP ‘Liam Gallagher and John Squire’ ultimately falls flat

International Women’s Day at Radio 6 Music Festival: Gossip headline CMAT and Afrodeutsche

Artists Gossip, CMAT, and Afrodeutsche were on the line-up at BBC 6 Music Festival for a musical celebration of International Women’s Day

Young Fathers bring community together at 6 Music Festival

Young Fathers, Hak Baker, and Sherelle launch the first day of 6 Music Festival, situated for a second year in Manchester

Snow Strippers live at The White Hotel: The industrial EDM future is in good hands

The Florida duo Snow Strippers are successfully reviving a lost EDM sound which infected pop music throughout the late 2000s and early 2010s. Here they came to Manchester to showcase this new, revised sound in the dark, dingy White Hotel in Salford