Pub of the Week: The Railway, Didsbury

Sam Joyce and Charlie Filmer-Court review their Pub of the Week, The Railway in Didsbury

In comparison to most of the trendy bars in West Didsbury, Joseph Holt pub The Railway is an unpretentious and laid back watering hole. Nothing stands out as being fantastic about this pub, but there is not much you can complain about either. It’s a good place to bring a couple of mates for a quiet pint—especially considering the log fire for those not wanting to fork out on bills during the winter months. The jukebox in the centre adds to the homely atmosphere but you will do well to break into the huddle of regulars playing the Smiths. Johnny Depp has also been rumoured to visit the Railway on occasion and is said to be a friend of the owners, so a casual pint could end in a celebrity encounter.

Drink: Must try Joseph Holt brewery lagers, Crystal and Diamond. Excellent range of ales, the cheapest being Joseph Holt bitter at £2.69, plus rotating guest ales (currently Chorlton IPA). If you’re looking to get merry they have Old Rosie Scrumpy on tap.

What’s on: Quiz night is Tuesday at 9, Trapdoor comedy is on every second Monday of the month—including acts from Mock The Week and QI.

Get There: 143 to West Didsbury and walk the length of Lapwing Lane. Alternatively it’s a short cycle down Burton Road.

https://twitter.com/RailwayDidsbury

Brunch at Santé: A slice of sun

Santé offers the perfect spot for a sunny al fresco brunch, topped off with student-budget friendly deals and a brilliantly Mediterranean inspired menu

Giving ‘Too Good To Go’ a go!

Is ‘Too Good To Go’ the sustainable, money saving app that students need to download?

Cooking a week of TikTok recipes on a student budget

Cooking inspiration can be hard to come by as a busy student, which is why I tried out a week’s worth of TikTok recipes to see if exciting meals could be achieved on a student budget

TikTok and Teatox: Why social media is sucking the joy out of food

From ‘What I Eat in a Day’ videos to fad diet trends, social media’s rampant championing of toxic diet culture needs to stop