Ask Kitty

This week our resident lifestyle guru Kitty Treverton Jones deals with relationship worries and teatime tantrums

I met a guy a few weeks ago and we have seen each other a few times since. He has got a great personality and we get along really well. The only thing is he’s not that good looking. I am attracted to him, but I’m still conscious of the fact he’s not very good looking and my friends have been telling me that looks are very important. I don’t know what to do!

If you like his personality and you’re attracted to him, why do you care what anybody else thinks of his looks? Your friends sound like morons. Beauty is subjective; there are no universal standards when it comes to attractiveness. This sounds like the start of a beautiful relationship, I’m really happy for you.

I’m in a house of seven and they are some of my best friends at university. However I’m worried we will all start to fall out because of our kitchen situation. Since September we’ve all flooded the kitchen at around 7pm making dinner but there just isn’t enough room. Last week we had ‘microwave-gate’ when someone removed my packet rice before it was cooked and I’m afraid sometime soon one of us is going to snap. What can we do?

I hate to break this to you, but you are that one housemate that everyone finds mildly to massively irritating because they complain all the time. Do any of the rest of your house even care about this crowded-meal-time problem? It sounds like you’re the one that’s about to snap. Uncle Ben’s microwave rice can’t take more than five minutes to cook; it sounds like you need to relax a bit and have some patience. If it is really a problem can’t a couple of you adjust your eating time by 15 to 20 minutes? Fighting over hob/oven/microwave/fridge space is part of the enjoyment of living in a big house; try not to blow your fuse.