The Mancunion

Britain's biggest student newspaper

Students and staff pay tribute to student who died of meningitis

Teygan Sugrue, a first year Russian with Economics student, died suddenly of Meningitis a week ago

By

University of Manchester students have been paying tribute to Teygan Sugrue, the first year Russian with Economics student living in the tower who died of Meningitis last week.

It has been reported that Segrue, of St. Ives, Cornwall, was found seriously ill in his room on Sunday the 2nd of November. He was taken to hospital at around 8pm, but medics were unable to save him.

His death prompted a health scare on Owens Park campus, with students rushing to get vaccinations from local surgeries.

A great number of students and staff have also been expressing their sadness and shock on twitter and Facebook.

In response to the death, Dr Tim Westlake, Director of Student Experience at the University of Manchester, said: “We are saddened to hear of the death of one of our students and our thoughts are with his family.

“Following advice from Public Health England, students living at Owens Park Tower have received guidance from Occupational Health advising that they are not at increased risk of infection.

“In line with public health guidance, a small number of students who have been in very close contact have been identified and offered antibiotics as a precautionary measure.”

On behalf of the Students’ Union Executive, Rosie Dammers, Wellbeing Officer, said “We are all deeply saddened to hear of the death of Teygan Sugrue last weekend and our thoughts go out to his friends and family. We have spoken to the University, and are confident they are doing all they can to support Teygan’s family, issue the right awareness information to students in Owens Park and have taken measures to ensure the disease will not spread.

“If any student has been affected by the death, or has concerns about meningitis, I would encourage you to seek help and advice from Occupational Health or our advice service which is located on the ground floor of the Students’ Union.”

Katie Sarah Sugrue, Teygan’s sister, paid tribute to her brother on her Facebook page.

She wrote, “This is most likely the hardest and most upsetting status I’ll ever have to write, but it is my deepest regret to announce that my brother Teygan passed away last night due to suspected Meningococcal Septicaemia (Meningitis).

“We know he spent some time in Falmouth last week so if I could ask all his friends/Facebook contacts if they could share this status to make sure the message reaches everyone to avoid any harm to others health.

“Anyone with information of his known whereabouts during the week or maybe houses he slept at, please contact the numbers on the links below.

“Please act fast as this could potentially save someone’s life.

“Thank you everyone for your help, much love x.”

The NHS state that in 2011–12, there were around 2350 cases of bacterial meningitis in the UK, and that young children and teenagers are particularly vulnerable.

Students in halls are particularly at risk, due to “students starting university and mixing with lots of new people, some of whom may unknowingly carry the meningococcal bacteria.”

However, incidences of meningitis have been falling since the introduction of vaccinations that eradicate the bacteria which cause the disease, such as the meningitis C vaccine, MMR vaccine and pneumococcal vaccine.

Symptoms of infection include an aversion to light, vomiting, fever, and “pale, blotchy skin, with a red rash that doesn’t fade when a glass is rolled over it”.

If you would like further information about the symptoms of meningitis and septicaemia or have any concerns visit www.meningitisnow.org or call 080 8800 3344.