Top 5: Awful Accents

Shia LaBeouf’s failed attempt to be British isn’t the worst we have seen on the silver screen, apparently. Here are Luke Sharma’s picks for the worst accents in film

5) Dick Van Dyke – Mary Poppins

Seeing as Dick Van Dyke’s appearance as Bert, the loveable chimney sweep, is one of the most iconic Disney roles ever, we can almost forgive him for the butchering of the cockney accent: “Schtep in toime moite!”

4) John Voight – Anaconda

When they were casting this film, who decided it was a good idea to cast a New Yorker, with no real experience with accents, as a Paraguayan hunter? He’s a top-notch actor, but his awful Spanish accent will forever be a blight to his otherwise brilliant career.

3) Keanu Reeves – Bram Stoker’s Dracula

I wonder whether Keanu Reeves has ever met a real Englishman before… When you close your eyes in some scenes, you feel like you’re watching Stewie Griffin from Family Guy. A great movie, but Keanu didn’t do such a great job.

2) Sean Connery – The Hunt For Red October

Sean Connery is undoubtedly a talented actor, but it seems like he didn’t even try to do a Russian accent when he played a Soviet submarine captain in The Hunt for Red October. Even Alec Baldwin (playing an American) nailed the accent when the pair were conversing in Russian, leaving Connery’s face as red as the square in Moscow.

1) Nicolas Cage – Captain Corelli’s Mandolin

Rolling his “r”s and ending every sentence with “-ah”, Nick Cage delivers one of the most stereotypical, awful Italian accents you’ll ever experience. Who would have thought a guy whose real surname is Coppola couldn’t even do an Italian accent? Then again, it is Nicolas Cage…