nikki-patel

DIY halterneck crop top

As end of term approaches, student loans are dwindling and brand new garms are but a distant dream. Don’t worry, because Nikki Patel has some quick and easy DIY for a fabulous and on trend halterneck crop top.

What you will need:

-A large piece of fabric in your designed colour/pattern

-A sewing machine, and failing that a needle and thread in a colour that complements your fabric

-Pins

-Fabric scissors

-Ruler

Step 1:

Fold your fabric in half lengthways and draw the above shape onto it, leaving a seam allowance of about half an inch. This will be the front part of your crop top. I used the shown proportions and am a size 8/10 so adjust as desired.

Step 2:

Carefully cut out your shape, making sure the scissors don’t snag your fabric. Unfold, and there you have your front piece!

Step 3:

Repeat the same process for the back piece and neck strap using the shapes below, but this time with just one, unfolded layer of fabric.

Step 4:

Neaten up your raw edges with a zigzag stitch and then double fold them a couple of times, securing with pins. Now it’s time to sew!! Secure your neat edges with a short, straight stitch.

Step 5:

Join your front and back pieces by laying them on top of each other, right sides together and pinning them together, leaving the seam allowance as excess. Again, bang out a short straight stitch to connect your pieces.

Step 6:

Fold over the top or your front piece by about half an inch. The space in between will be where your neck strap lies. Finally attach a safety pin to the strap and snake it through the gap, pull it taut and your neckline should create a ruched effect.

And there you have it: a stylish halter neck crop to breathe new life into your Saturday night ensemble (plus you get to tell all your friends that you make your own clothes!)

On screen style report #6: Charlotte York

What would Park Avenue princess Charlotte York’s style be around the streets of the Upper East Side in 2024? Enter Ralph Lauren, Burberry, and Chanel…

Influencing goes deeper than we think

We think of influencing as simple: someone you like online tells you to buy something, and you do, like the good little consumer that you are. Maybe it’s not that straightforward

The dos and don’ts of fashion at the Oscars: Breakdown of the 2024 looks

The 96th Academy Awards were full of the glamorous looks you’d expect, but what trends and outfits stood out at the Oscars this year?

Dua Lipa: The new face of YSL

Yves Saint Laurent are marketing towards a new young audience with Dua Lipa as their brand ambassador but what does this mean?