DIY halterneck crop top

As end of term approaches, student loans are dwindling and brand new garms are but a distant dream. Don’t worry, because Nikki Patel has some quick and easy DIY for a fabulous and on trend halterneck crop top.

What you will need:

-A large piece of fabric in your designed colour/pattern

-A sewing machine, and failing that a needle and thread in a colour that complements your fabric

-Pins

-Fabric scissors

-Ruler

Step 1:

Fold your fabric in half lengthways and draw the above shape onto it, leaving a seam allowance of about half an inch. This will be the front part of your crop top. I used the shown proportions and am a size 8/10 so adjust as desired.

Processed with VSCOcam with t1 preset

Step 2:

Carefully cut out your shape, making sure the scissors don’t snag your fabric. Unfold, and there you have your front piece!

Processed with VSCOcam with t1 preset

Step 3:

Repeat the same process for the back piece and neck strap using the shapes below, but this time with just one, unfolded layer of fabric.

Step 4:

Neaten up your raw edges with a zigzag stitch and then double fold them a couple of times, securing with pins. Now it’s time to sew!! Secure your neat edges with a short, straight stitch.

Processed with VSCOcam with t1 preset

Step 5:

Join your front and back pieces by laying them on top of each other, right sides together and pinning them together, leaving the seam allowance as excess. Again, bang out a short straight stitch to connect your pieces.

Step 6:

Fold over the top or your front piece by about half an inch. The space in between will be where your neck strap lies. Finally attach a safety pin to the strap and snake it through the gap, pull it taut and your neckline should create a ruched effect.

And there you have it: a stylish halter neck crop to breathe new life into your Saturday night ensemble (plus you get to tell all your friends that you make your own clothes!)

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset

Processed with VSCOcam with c1 preset