marina-garvey-birch-2-2

Live: Hollie Cook

Cook’s voice stands out, but she lacks engagement

26th November

Night & Day

6/10

Hollie Cook took to the stage with ease, despite it being her first solo tour. Perhaps known for her family (her father is Paul Drummer of the Sex Pistols and her mother sang for The Culture Club) Cook’s eclectic music influence is clear in her self named ‘tropical pop’ tinged with dub and ska. Considered a sound accompaniment for tracks such as ‘And The Beat Goes On’ (with Prince Fatty), Cook has finally found space in the musical market for her own gig, promoting her new album Twice.

The bar was overheated, and Cook was clad in a beautiful banana print skirt that reminded us all there was hope for a summer after these cold Manchester nights. Everyone was bopping along, a mixed crowd of all ages, and Cook was happy and merry, and clearly a bit overwhelmed. At points, we were transported to the seaside with Cook’s sultry tracks of ‘Tiger Balm’ and ‘Cry’ and the most popular track ‘Milk and Honey’. Giving us treats of new tracks such as ‘Superfast’, laced with electro tones and synthesisers, Cook displayed her music variety and talent, straying from the more standard rhythm of ska and reggae tracks that can start to feel repetitive.

Yet Cook herself was a bit distant. One could excuse the lack of engagement for the type of music that was played, relaxed and at moments almost like a lullaby, yet when other singer-songwriters can create a dynamic with the crowd instantly, I question if Cook was really there with the audience.

Cook’s voice stands out and is full of soothing tones and we got glimmers of a fun and mischievous performer. Yet I can’t help but think that with a little more engagement with the audience, Cook’s performance would have shone brighter.

Liam Gallagher and John Squire: Not quite a match made in Britpop Heaven

After the much anticipated collaboration between Oasis’ Liam Gallagher and John Squire, of Stone Roses fame, the LP ‘Liam Gallagher and John Squire’ ultimately falls flat

International Women’s Day at Radio 6 Music Festival: Gossip headline CMAT and Afrodeutsche

Artists Gossip, CMAT, and Afrodeutsche were on the line-up at BBC 6 Music Festival for a musical celebration of International Women’s Day

Young Fathers bring community together at 6 Music Festival

Young Fathers, Hak Baker, and Sherelle launch the first day of 6 Music Festival, situated for a second year in Manchester

Snow Strippers live at The White Hotel: The industrial EDM future is in good hands

The Florida duo Snow Strippers are successfully reviving a lost EDM sound which infected pop music throughout the late 2000s and early 2010s. Here they came to Manchester to showcase this new, revised sound in the dark, dingy White Hotel in Salford