Man brandishing knife arrested outside Stopford Building

A 32-year-old man has appeared before magistrates after being arrested and charged with possession of a bladed article outside the Stopford Building

A 32-year-old male was arrested outside the Stopford Building on Thursday the 29th of January at lunchtime.

Police were called at 12:35pm following reports of “a man [having] verbals with another man and [getting] out a knife,” Greater Manchester Police told The Mancunion.

The two were witnessed struggling outside the Sainsbury’s local on the corner of Oxford Road and Grafton Street.

They were then reported to have walked off together, with injuries reported.

Both a police car and van attended the scene approximately 10minutes after GMP received reports of a man brandishing a knife.

32-year-old Simon Monkman was arrested by GMP for possession of a bladed article, and was charged. He appeared before magistrates on the morning of Friday the 30th of January.

The arrest took place on Oxford Road by the main entrance of the Stopford Building. Witnesses reported seeing a man bundled into the back of a police van in handcuffs.

A University of Manchester spokesperson said: “We take the safety of our students and staff extremely seriously and our dedicated security team patrol the campus day and night.

“If anyone has any concerns they feel University Security should know about they can call the 24-hour Security Control Room on 0161 306 9966.”

The whereabouts of the second man involved in the incident is unknown.

Anyone who may have information about the incident should contact Greater Manchester Police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.