anna-phillips

SU presents: The Vagina Monologues

Women’s Campaign and the SU will stage the witty, outrageous play which gives voice to the female experience

The Women’s Campaign and the Students’ Union will this month stage a production of the famed episodic play, The Vagina Monologues.

Based on author Eve Ensler’s Vagina Interviews, the original episodic play was performed in 1996, and is made up of various monologues read by a variety of women regarding their views on sex, relationships, and violence against women.

Each of the monologues deals with aspects of the female experience such as sex, love, rape, menstruation, FGM, masturbation, birth and the female orgasm.

Ensler originally wrote the piece to “celebrate the vagina”, however she stated that its purpose has since changed to being a movement to stop violence against women.

The production, which will be held in Academy 3 of the Students’ Union on the 10th and 11th of February, will see a witty, outrageous and moving collection of tales from real women from around the world to highlight issues affecting women daily.

Women’s Officer, Jess Lishak, said: “I’m working with a group of incredible women and non-gender binary students to put on a production of The Vagina Monologues!

“Tickets are available now and all of the proceeds will be going to Manchester Women’s Aid and Manchester Rape Crisis, who are both facing huge and continuous funding cuts.”

The production will also promote Reclaim the Night which will take place at 7pm on the 26th February. This is a march to protest violence against women and victim blaming culture. Over 85,000 women are raped or sexually assaulted every year in England and Wales.

Tickets are £4 and all proceeds will go to Manchester Women’s Aid and Manchester Rape Crisis, and are available at the SU reception and online.