grainne-morrison
1st February 2015

Florals for Spring? Ground breaking

Pretty much the most important fashion article you’ll read this year

Breaking news from Paris: for SS 15, we are all allowed to admit that flowers bloom in spring. General election who?  Though Miranda Priestley may have turned up her nose at such a predictable theme, in this real life industry, Chanel calls the shots.

I’m still a tad confused as to where The Mancunion Fashion and Beauty’s invite to the Paris couture show is, but I’m willing to forgive and forget. Mainly because I’m too distracted by the astounding beauty of the clothes, the set up of the show and the apparent BFF status of Karl Lagerfeld and Kris Jenner. After a month in the dark and dusty library, I actually forgot so many colours existed.

Photo: backstagebombshell@instagram

Couture is by its very nature the less wearable form of fashion: hand made with the most expensive and delicate materials only to be worn once or in fact never at all.  However, it is by far the most inspiring medium of fashion design. This is very much fashion as an art form; floral appliqué skirts are essentially wearable Monet masterpieces.

Lagerfeld’s latest offering has had such a positive response that there can be no doubt about the ripples it has created in the fashion ocean, and pieces such as the crop tops (pictured) beg for more low-key, high street copycat versions. The haute-couture industry has little relevance in the life of the average student. But pay attention now and you won’t fall behind.

And Karl, if you’re reading this our address is: The Mancunion Fashion and Beauty, 1st Floor, UoM Students’ Union, Manchester.

Zendaya and the art of theme dressing

Are Zendaya and stylist Law Roach the fashion worlds answer to Lennon and McCartney?

Does Hailey Bieber’s Rhode phone case signal the death of the handbag?

Hailey Bieber’s latest release, a phone case specially designed to fit a lip product, is just the next step in the ever-shrinking bag trend of recent years. Does this signal the handbag’s ultimate demise?

Get to know Oddmuse: Aimee Smale on doing ‘what people aren’t expecting’

London-based slow-fashion brand Oddmuse took off over lockdown on TikTok and other social media platforms – I picked founder Aimee’s brain on how to break into the fashion industry and her future vision for Oddmuse