grainne-morrison

The Upcycling project re-opens

The student-run charity shop initiative relaunches

The Upcycling Project, a charity clothes shop run by student volunteers, officially re-opened on Wednesday the 4th of March. The project previously took place for the last month of semester one. All profits from the sales of clothes go towards Women for Women International, a charity which works to help marginalised women in eight countries affected by conflict including Bosnia and Herzegovina and Rwanda. Since 1993, they have helped over 420000 women through training programs. Last semester, The Upcycling Project raised £703.90 for Women for Women International through the sale of second-hand and upcycled clothes; this money will support the training of at least two women.

Speaking to The Mancunion, Conor McGurran, Campaigns and Citizenship officer, said: “Helping to set up The Upcycling Project last term was one of the most rewarding things I’ve done in my role, so I’m delighted that a group of dedicated volunteers have reopened the shop! With the help of students, we can achieve even more this term, all whilst encouraging people to think about sustainability.”

Jasmine Opoku-Ware, one of the students behind The Upcycling Project, said “We will be running even more workshops throughout the semester that allows students to tap into their creative side and make use of items in their wardrobe that they may have otherwise written off. This semester, aspiring designers will be able to display and see their own pieces. Our main aim is to celebrate Manchester’s alternative fashion scene whilst raising money for an amazing charity.”

The shop will be open 12pm – 4pm Wednesday to Friday. Donations can be brought to the red bin in the foyer of the Students’ Union and students can sign up to volunteer through the Students’ Union website.