aidan-gregory

Club: Transmission presents Carl Cox & Eats Everything

Carl Cox smashed it at the Albert Hall

3rd April

The Albert Hall

8/10

Seeing Carl Cox and Eats Everything on the same bill was brilliant enough. Seeing Carl Cox and Eats Everything on the same bill at the Albert Hall was even better.

Playing techno interspersed with classic anthems, Bristol based DJ Eats Everything was impressive. One of the highlights of the set was the entire Albert Hall singing the chorus to Inner City’s ‘Good Life’; a throwback to an era when Manchester was still Madchester. Perhaps the greatest aspect of Transmission isn’t necessarily the big names on the bill (although that is a massive part), but the venue itself. The lights, the architecture and sound system of the Albert Hall make it one of the best venues in the city, and it can be seen as a sign of secular progress that an old chapel has been transformed into a venue for huge raves.

Following the conclusion of Eats Everything’s set, the venue went black, and the sound was cut. As the ‘King of Ibiza’ took to the stage, an enormous roar sounded around the Albert Hall for a man who has been one of the world’s best DJs since before most students in Manchester were born. Seeing him live really does give you the feeling that a legend is in your midst. Cox’s set contained more epic drops than a day out at Alton Towers, and for two and a half hours I was able to imagine, that instead of being an overworked third year, I was actually in Ibiza.

Coming away from Transmission, the big question remains: Does it match up to its sister night, the Warehouse Project? The two are essentially very similar. Where they differ is in space and time. The Albert Hall is an expansive arena with high ceilings and a gallery that gives the impression of huge amounts of open space. The Warehouse Project in Store Street impresses ideas of old school raves and claustrophobia (the good kind) whilst you are being mesmerised by bright lights and throbbing sounds. The two do match up. But ultimately, as the younger night, Transmission needs more time to establish the legendary status held by its sister.