What to wear: Pangaea

Have exams caused you to neglect your search for the perfect Pangaea outfit? You’re not alone. Fashion editor Gráinne Morrison is here to help

So after weeks in the library, our suffering is almost over and the light at the end of the revision tunnel is Pangaea: Disco Apocalypse. A rite of passage for Manchester’s students, Pangaea is the perfect way to celebrate the end of exams, and if you’re in final year it’s your last hurrah before you leave this wonderful institution. Lifestyle have been kind enough to remind us of the Pangaea dos and don’ts, and I will reiterate  – DO dress up and DON’T be a cop-out. If you’ve already finished exams you have time to venture into town and find a suitably sassy ensemble. If you finish on Wednesday that gives you just one day to find a post-apocalyptic disco outfit, and depending on your shopping skills this can prove difficult. Luv Ya Babes and Duty Free in the Arndale will sort you out for glitter and synthetic blood but if you’re taking the theme seriously (and you really should) you need to bear in mind the style status of the disco era. Heed my words and avoid Pangaea panic: Shop online. 70s fashion has been all over the catwalks for the past few seasons meaning our favourite high street retailers have cheaper versions for the more frugal student shoppers. Order today and these items will arrive in time to save you from outfit inadequacy. They can’t, however, save you from the end of the world…

Photo: Public Desire

Photo: Public Desire

Flatform sandals are super comfortable, which is imperative when you’re dancing ‘til 6am and running away from zombies. I mean, chunky silver shoes like these Public Desire sandals are probably the most sensible shoes you’ll ever own…

Photo: Topshop

Photo: Topshop

Because who doesn’t love an excuse to wear flares? These Jersey Ribbed ones (£25) are perfect for Pangaea and when you wake up the next day/evening still dressed in last night’s outfit, they double as comfy pyjama bottoms…

Photo: Asos

Photo: ASOS

Photo: Miss Selfridge

Photo: Miss Selfridge

Jumpsuits are last minute outfit heaven, no wonder they were such a hit with Studio 54 party girls. Grab a bargain with this Miss Selfridge number (£25).  For the shorter Pangaea-goers, this John Zack Petite jumpsuit (£38) is a saviour. And if you avoid drink spillage you can wear it again to glamorous events throughout the summer. White party in the Hamptons anyone?

Photo: Asos

Photo: Asos

For the guys, where else will you have an excuse to wear white tuxedo trousers? You know you want to.

Photo: Amazon

Photo: Amazon

As if I even need to sell you on these. £1.98, Amazon.

Photo: Urban Outfitters

Photo: Urban Outfitters

And if all else fails, iron the word DISCO onto an old t-shirt with these glitter letters from Urban Outfitters.