Anti-Tory protesters to ‘Take Back Manchester’

Thousands of protesters are expected to descend of the Conservative Party Conference next week for Manchester’s ‘Week of Action’

Take Back Manchester, a five-day event organised by the Manchester People’s Assembly, will run from the 3rd – 7th of October. The Manchester People’s Assembly has said that “thousands of people, from across the country, are expected to descend on the Tory Conference to demand a better society.”

Take Back Manchester is set to begin with a flashmob at Manchester Piccadilly on the afternoon of the 3rd of October. Throughout the protest, associated events will vary from a National Demonstration against austerity at 12pm on the 4th October called by the TUC, to a comedy night featuring Frankie Boyle at Manchester Academy on the same day.

Monday’s events are set to be more closely centred on Conservative Party’s policies, with multiple protests planned. An anti-TTIP protest and a demonstration against cuts to disability benefit will occur at 12pm, with the Student Protest against cuts to be held outside the Conference at 2pm.

Monday will also play host to several debates and meetings including ‘The People’s Post’ rally at Manchester Cathedral at 7pm. Jeremy Corbyn, the newly elected Labour Party leader, will speak at this event along with Communication Workers Union secretary Dave Ward and Green Party leader Natalie Bennet, among others.

A protest against the privatisation of the NHS will be held at Central Hall on the 6th of October, followed by a film screening of ‘We Are Many’ and meetings on the topic of austerity and stopping the spread of war. The day will end with a cross faith vigil in Manchester Cathedral.

The protest series will close with the Disabled People Against Cuts demonstration, an anti-fracking protest, and finally a People’s Question Time.

A spokesperson from The People’s Assembly told The Mancunion: “This Government continues to cut spending, sell off and privatise our vital services & attack the poorest and most vulnerable in society. After over five years of austerity, the gap between rich and poor has grown – it’s clear the Tories priority is making the majority pay for a crisis they had nothing to do with while those at the top have gotten richer. Students and young people have been hit hard. The trebling of university fees, scrapping of maintenance grants and EMA, access to housing benefit for under 25s under threat.

But this Government is increasingly unpopular and weak. A mass movement on the streets, in our universities, our workplaces and communities can create a political crisis they can’t recover from. We need to make sure the Tories are met with mass opposition when they come to Manchester. If you want to see a society run in the interests of the majority and not the few at the top – join us to Take back Manchester!”