Live: Wolf Alice

Armed with a wonderful, glittery light show and a truly enchanting front woman in the form of Ellie Rowsell, the band exudes forceful energy, which transcends into the audience and beyond

The Albert Hall

25th September

As we wait for Wolf Alice to take to the stage at Manchester’s Albert Hall, the anticipation in the air breathes echoes of the exuberance generated in the British indie scene. It is the penultimate show of a huge UK tour and is to be followed by a performance at Brixton Academy—their biggest show to date. Following terrific support slots from Made Violent and a ferocious headline-worthy display from Drenge, the spirited crowd are already feeling bruised as the lights dim and the band arrive to thunderous applause.

Their debut album is only a couple of months old, yet the venue is sold out, which is testament to a band that really knows how to put on a show. Years spent supporting bands like Peace and Swim Deep, as well relentlessness festival tours, has earned them a reputation as one of the UK’s most raucous and exciting live acts going. The arched hall proves to be a perfectly dramatic venue for the band, it adds to the mystery and spectacle of their performance. Armed with a wonderful, glittery light show and a truly enchanting front woman in the form of Ellie Rowsell, the band exudes forceful energy, which transcends into the audience and beyond.

Opener ‘My Love Is Cool’ eases the audience in and tracks like ‘Bros’ and ‘Lisbon’ offer merely a fleeting flavour of the madness to come. Wisely, they choose to save their biggest hits for the frenzied finale. Tonight is a celebration, a victory lap for their meteoric success. A party atmosphere floods the room as they indulge in performing every track from their album. Yet it’s an atmosphere that is uniquely theirs; a wonderful exchange of soft vocals, marbled melodies and clamorous guitars comes on in electrifying ripples, to transport us into their fascinating world.

As the final chords of the last track, ‘Giant Peach’, ring out, the band is leaving the stage, triumphant, with bassist Theo Ellis launching himself into a sea of outstretched arms and devotion. This time last year, they were playing venues barely half this size, but as they exit, it seems that the room could barely contain them, leaving jubilant obliteration in their wake. From tonight’s confident display of intent, these shimmering, stage-smashing, shooting stars show no sign of slowing down.

8/10