merle-streck

Homesickness among students peaks in the third week of October

Research conducted by the Association of Train Operating Companies reveals journeys booked with 16 – 25 railcards spike in the third week of October, suggesting homesickness is highest among students this week

Research conducted by the Association of Train Operating Companies (ATOC) indicates that the third week of October is the most popular time for students to travel back home from university.

Out of the 1.7 million journeys made in this week last year, more than 337,000 journeys were booked using 16 – 25 railcards. This figure represents a 13 per cent rise compared to the usual weekly average and a 28 per cent increase on railcard journeys originating in a university town, suggesting this is a particularly popular week to travel back to see family.

Christmas, according to ATOC, was the only busier period last year. According to the research, the five top cities from which students with 16 – 25 railcards were departing from in the third week of October were Exeter with 64 per cent, Durham (61 per cent)  Liverpool (52 per cent), Bristol (45 per cent) and Birmingham with 42 per cent more journeys than the usual weekly average.

Commenting on the recent data, Andrew Robertson of ATOC said: “Going to university for the first time can be an exciting but daunting experience for young adults. And our research indicates that for many, the reality of living away from parents can really kick in after just a few weeks.”

Scarlett Ash, Student Co-ordinator for EAC Peer Mentoring at the University of Manchester, told The Mancunion: “By week three of uni the novelty of being independent can begin to wear off, meaning students start to miss their home comforts. Homesickness is not only a problem for first years, but for anyone who may feel that uni work is holding them back from spending a weekend at home.”

Leonie Dunn, a fellow Student Co-ordinator added: “It’s something most people will go through at one point in their time at university and often people are too embarrassed to voice it—this is something that we need to overcome.”