elise-gallagher

Review: Alan Carr

Alan Carr takes on trip advisor, northern delicacies, and nostalgic cultural references at Manchester’s Apollo

The 2015 NTA winner Alan Carr will be ‘yapping’ his way around the UK & Ireland with his stand-up show ‘Yap, Yap, Yap!’  The BAFTA and British Comedy Award winning comedian, author and chat show supremo returns to his stand-up roots with his hilarious take on life.

Love or loathe him, Alan Carr is one of Britain’s most successful comedians. Arguably a national treasure, his unique humour and effortless stage presence have earned him a catalogue of awards including Best Chat Show host at the 2015 NTA’s, winner of the 2013 BAFTA for Best Entertainment Performance and 2013 British Comedy Award for Best Comedy Entertainment Personality. Taking to the stage on Friday the 6th of November, he had Manchester Apollo’s audience in the palm of his hand.

The sketch ranged from topics such as TripAdvisor, going on a safari holiday with his mum, dog walking and the dating scene. The main premise surrounding the show was his hate for people who simply had too much to say. TripAdvisor was naturally his prime example, where he noted comments and ratings, such as a lady giving Windermere two stars because she’d lost her handbag there.

However one of my favourite moments within the show I imagine wasn’t actually part of the sketch. On two separate occasions, Carr stopped mid ‘yap’ to shame audience members who were texting—and rightfully so. “Sorry, am I boring you?” This gathered both laughs and respect for Carr in equal measure. Moments also included Alan posing for pictures at the beginning of the second half; you can just imagine some of the poses.

A live comedy show wouldn’t be anything without the hecklers. Especially drunken, middle aged hecklers. For those who weren’t aware, Carr has a special place in his heart for Manchester, having lived here for a while so when he asked for romantic meals in Manchester the audience rang back with a plethora of stereotypical Northern delicacies such as “fish fingers,” “pie” and “spag bol.” Hilarity ensued.

In previous years, he has garnered a clutch of awards from the 2012 National Television Award for Best Talk Show, and the 2012 Loaded LAFTA Award for Best Stand Up and the 2010 TV Choice Awards for Best Entertainment Show. There were also nominations for Best New British Comedy & Best Comedy Entertainment Personality at the 2009 British Comedy Awards.

The mammoth tour is raking in over 140 theatre shows throughout 2015. If you didn’t catch him in Manchester, there are still seven locations remaining before the tour concludes. Be sure to book soon as remaining tickets will sell fast.

An evening full of charged mincing, his incredulous “what’s-that-all-about” and making the most unenthused of people actually laugh out loud. ‘Yap, Yap, Yap!’ is a complete success.

Tour Dates:
14th – 15th November: City Hall, Hull
19th – 21st November: Dome, Brighton
22nd – 29th November: Waterfront Hall, Belfast
10th – 13th December: Millennium Forum, Derry
19th of December: Eventim Apollo, London
18th of March: Sentrum Scene, Oslo
19th of March: The Edge, Tromso