Live: Annie Mac Presents at WHP

The Mancunion checks out Annie Mac’s sold out double performance at Warehouse

Store Street

7/10

On the last weekend of November, Annie Mac Presents crashed into Warehouse Project. Store Street ran amok with Ibiza lads and lasses eager to see their beloved Annie Mac present a much anticipated and sold out line up.

Room one kicked into action with a set from Melé and Monki. The sets were pretty non-descript and elicited little from the crowd—the duo definitely came across as the warm up act. However, Melé did get the crowd going with a play of his upbeat ‘Ambience’ with the jazz-like screams of the song sending some dancers into private little frenzies.

Julio Bashmore followed after an hour. The Bristol-born DJ seemed to send everyone around me into incandescent drug-fuelled fits to his hard house beats. Roars were heard as his well-known ‘Battle For Middle You’ and ‘Au Seve’ were slipped into the ongoing wall of noise and fit-inducing lights. Overall Bashmore was spectacular—he seemed almost perfectly suited to Store Street.

Stormzy, the self-proclaimed “child of grime” from South London followed on for a thirty minute set of hard-hitting aggression. Stormzy started by imploring the crowd to scream “SHUT UP” from the “bottom of their heart and the top of their chest” after every non-Manchester city he named. This only riled the crowd before he had lurched into a heartfelt performance of his song ‘Shut Up’. Apart from this, the only thing that had stood out was an aggressive performance of you ‘Know Me From’. Overall, he provided a nice break from seven hours of hard electronic music—but I still feel grime at WHP is a tough one to get around.

Redlight stormed on to the stage to play their new album nearly track for track—dancehall and garage provided yet another genre for the crowd to adapt to. Overall, they performed brilliantly—‘Get Out My Head’ was a banger that near everyone could get behind. But as the lights beamed out for a snippet of ‘Lost in your Love’, Warehouse had comically reduced everyone around me from dark mysterious figures to sweaty wide-eyed horses chewing cud.

After Redlight, Annie Mac charged onstage with hyperventilating electronic beats and extracts from her new album Annie Mac Presents 2015. This is what the crowd had been waiting for, and she didn’t fail, proving herself, yet again, to be one of the most successful DJs out there right now. As her curly hair bobbed above the crowd to a spellbinding version of Eric Pyrdz’s ‘Opus’ (a Four Tet remix)—without a doubt, the highlight of the night—there was an overwhelming feeling amongst the crowd that this was a night well spent.