alex-whitcomb

Varsity 2016: American Football Preview

The undefeated UoM Tyrants take on MMU Eagles this Sunday at Burnage Rugby Club

This Sunday isn’t just about Super Bowl 50, as Manchester’s own American Football grudge match takes place at Burnage Rugby Club.

UoM are currently undefeated and top of the league and will go into the game with confidence high. With such an unblemished record it would be a disgrace to say that UoM aren’t the favourites, especially as MMU are currently sitting bottom of the league. However, that doesn’t mean you should write them off. MMU know that the Varsity status of the game will mean that there are bragging rights at stake as well as points, with the unique opportunity to embarrass UoM on home turf an extra motivation.

From a fan’s perspective, Varsities are events not to be missed. Those who were at the Rugby Union Varsity last October will know how exciting they can be, with Manchester beating Sheffield 18-17 in a tense encounter.

American Football also is a rapidly growing game in the UK, and the Tyrants will be hoping that an enthusiastic crowd can spur them on to victory. UoM freshman linebacker Dom Williams explained how the physicality of the sport makes it an exciting spectacle, adding: “I put in bigger hits than I ever did in rugby.”

It will also be a great opportunity to get some Sunday daytime drinking in, with kick off at 2pm and the bar open for the whole match. Entry is free and the venue is a 5-10 minute walk from the bus stop at Parrs Wood, served by the 142 and 42 buses to East Didsbury.

The Tyrants are also hosting an all American themed party at Revolution Fallowfield afterwards from 9pm for Super Bowl 50, with game being shown live from 11:30 pm. Entry for this is £2, with all proceeds donated to Manchester’s Cancer Research UK Society.

Visit the Facebook event for full event details.

Current Standings BUCS Northern 2A

1st   Manchester 10pts

2nd York              8pts

3rd  Bradford      4pts

4th  Leeds            2pts

5th  MMU            2pts