Student found murdered in University of Salford halls

Murder investigation opened after body of student was found in university halls at the University of Salford

The body of 30-year-old William Lound was found at around 1pm on Monday 8th of February at Bramall Court in the University of Salford (UoS) Student Village, after a man alerted city centre police to the address.

The man stopped a Community Support Officer from Greater Manchester Police (GMP) to alert them of the location, and following enquiries, GMP arrested a 36-year-old man, now identified as Lee Arnold, on suspicion of murder, and he was taken into questioning by police.

The victim suffered multiple stab wounds, and a Home Office postmortem investigation has confirmed that the cause of death was stab wounds to the back and neck.

Arnold is not a student. He will appear at Manchester Magistrates Court on Wednesday 10th of February.

Superintendent Mark Kenny said: “Our thoughts are with the family of William at this extremely difficult time.

“Specialist support officers are with William’s family and we are working closely with Salford University to offer support to anyone affected.

“We believe this an isolated incident and we don’t believe there is any risk to the wider community.”

Students at the university were dumbstruck by the events at Bramall Court, which is less than a mile from the main campus. All students received an email detailing how to access support in the wake of the events.

Vice Chancellor of UoS Professor Helen Marshall added: “This has come as a huge shock to us all, and our thoughts primarily are with the family and friends of the student at this difficult time.”