nicole-tamer

Interview: Georgia Adams

Being a director can be overwhelming but Georgia Adams overcame all challenges and One to Ten was successfully wrapped

Georgia Adams enjoyed directing short film One to Ten, produced by the University of Manchester’s Filmmaking Society; as well as another film called Hostage. One to Ten is a superhero film where everyone has a power. Reuben and his friends—along with their unique abilities—embark on a quest for vengeance against a rival gang.

Georgia Adams completely fell in love with the story and immediately knew that she had to work on it. “Plus, Taiyo [Yoshida, the writer] had created some strong female characters which I thought was great too.” She initially applied for assistant director but because she was so keen, the role of the director was given to her.

It was, at times, difficult for Georgia to bring her vision across since there were a few contradictory ideas flying about when it came to the production of the film, so compromises had to be made.

There are always tricky parts and challenges on a film set, Georgia agreed that it was not always easy, expressing that: “All warehouse scenes were extremely difficult to film. It was freezing, chaotic, and we were juggling a massive camera whilst trying to choreograph a semi-realistic fight sequence.”

She does not think that it is always possible for everything to run smoothly on set, but they were all working really well together as a crew, “They even put up with me during my mad moments!” She added.

She has had a few director jobs before, but this was the largest. Being slightly overwhelmed by the amount of responsibility she had on set, she found the whole process pretty daunting. “Honestly though, waking up at 5am to stand in a freezing cold warehouse all day was really worth it and I had such a great time on set.”

She really hopes to do more directing in the future and would like to enrol into a film school after university to see where it takes her. The Filmmaking Society is planning on entering the film into a short film competition and two new scripts have been selected for the new semester.

More videos and a behind-the-scenes trailer of One to Ten can be found on the society’s official YouTube channel.

Preview: 30th ¡Viva! Festival highlights Spanish culture at HOME Cinema

Delve into the variety of Spanish-language cinema with HOME’s annual ¡Viva! film festival