nicole-tamer

Preview: India Week 2016

Dive into the world of Indian food, music, and festivals by attending India Week and help to raise funds for enhancing the quality of life of millions of children in India.

The third annual India Week, a week that celebrates the essence of being Indian, is back from the 7th to the 13th March.

With a wide variety of events, The Indian Society of Manchester hopes to spread Indian culture to anyone who wishes to connect or re-connect with the cultural riches of the subcontinent. It will also allow students (Indians and non-Indians alike) the opportunity to experience a small fragment of the Indian way of life.

This year, the society will be raising funds for the charity organisation Pratham, an organisation whose mission is to improve the quality of education in India and to ensure that all children in India are not only attending school but thriving. Pratham UK has already raised more than £5 million since 2003.

The week will kick off with an free and incredible India Inaugural Night, taking place on 7th March from 6pm onwards in Academy 1. The evening will be charged with energy, dancing, music, and loads of exciting performances, as well as a mystery guest! There will also be a quiz night in St. Peter’s Chaplaincy at 6:30pm.

Photo: Indian Society of Manchester

One of the most exciting events will be the celebration of Holi, the festival of colours, at the Gita Bhavan Hindu Temple from 1:30pm until 5pm on the 9th of March. Coloured powders will be provided at student prices, and this celebration will be accompanied by a DJ playing Bollywood hits.

The next two days will concentrate on fundraising, with a surprise event and a games night on 11th March from 5pm on at Al Qaza. If you had not had enough of games, the Carnival of Sports at Armitage at 11pm will bring the child out of you with games such as bubble football, three-legged race, and the lemon race.

The week closes with the Grand Indian Ball at Sheridan Suite on 13th March from 6pm onwards. The society promises an enchanting evening of glittering performances with a fire show, a spectacular array of awards, and gourmet Indian delicacies.

Watch the India Week teaser here and consider donating to Pratham on India Week’s Just Giving website.

Photo: Indian Society of Manchester