Q&A With The Kingdom

Hannah Brierley talks to Taylor Fisher, vocalist and lead guitarist of Manchester-based band The Kingdom

Taylor Fisher: Guitarist and Singer

James Day: Drums

Kenny Chiu: Bass Guitar

Where did your name come from?

Taylor: Honestly? We were asked to play a gig for a friend and it was all very last minute, we went with The Kingdom because it was the first name we all liked and agreed on. That gig was really successful and from then on the name just stuck.

How and when did the band come together?

The bassist and I were originally in a band in 2014 but our drummer bailed out, but luckily my other best friend was coincidently a drummer, and since forth the band was born.

How often do you practice and play gigs?

We try to rehearse as much as we can, tends to be a couple times a week. We try to play as often as we can too. We’re doing something a bit different at a gig we’ve got lined up and instead of selling tickets we’re having an ‘honesty box’ where you come and enjoy the night and then pay as much (or as little) as you like! Fingers crossed it all goes well.

Where are your favourite places to play in Manchester?

From experience; The Castle Hotel, Rebellion and The Tiger Lounge are the best places to perform. They have a great atmosphere and the Tiger Lounge lets you take your own booze (sometimes) so that’s great too.

What’s influenced your song writing and performance over your time together?

Performance wise… being a three-piece can be quite challenging because there’s nothing to hide behind, but we’ve grown to love being exposed. And because we’re such an energetic band this really works for us. Songwriting and musically we have a variety of influences because we all have different tastes. I don’t like to pigeonhole and say we sound like other bands because we don’t, but if I had to say it would be somewhere between the Arctic Monkeys and Wolfmother.

What do you think is your greatest strength as a band?

It’s a blessing and curse but we’re all really good friends and have been for the past few years now. This is helpful because we can all be honest with each other as well knowing that it’s nothing personal. Another good thing about being mates is that when we finish a gig together we get to sit back and enjoy the buzz together.

What’s been our greatest achievement as a band so far?

The last EP Launch. I remember this one time we were told the capacity was around 80 people, and we managed to get about 120 instead. The other bands that were playing with us were amazing and also close friends. The whole night had such a good vibe and everyone had a great time together.

What advice would you give other students trying to start bands?

If you’re deadly serious about it, and you really believe in it, you need to make it priority number one. Don’t take no for answer and don’t take rejection personally. You’ve got to be persistent to get where you want to be.

If you could be stuck in a lift with one person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

I’d probably go for Jimi Hendrix, because I want to ask him how… just how.

If you could be any household object what would you be?

I’d definitely be a pillow; nothing sounds better than spending all your time in bed.