Motion to ban Prime Minister from SU to be debated at Senate

The motion questions the democratic legitimacy of the current government, since “zero students voted Tory”

A motion has been put forward for the next Students’ Union Senate to debate the  banning of Prime Minister David Cameron from the Union building to stop him manipulating “venerable [sic]” students.

The possibly-satirical proposal, titled ‘Ban David Cameron from the Students’ Union building’, calls Cameron a “dangerous Tory” and his government “undemocratic”.

“David Cameron is a dangerous Tory whom has continually attacked the welfare state with the intent of destroying it since the Tory government assumed absolute power in a so called ‘democratic’ vote”, reads the motion.

“David Cameron and his right-wing Tory government were elected by a minority of the electorate, and zero students voted Tory, therefore we must make a stand against this undemocratic regime by banning David Cameron and his Tory government from our democratic Students Union and our University Campus.”

The anonymous submitter goes on to complain that the government’s Junior Doctor contract changes have “violated the Safe Space policy”.

Cameron’s campaign to stay in the EU is questioned too. “David Cameron has said that we should vote to stay in the EU, but he is a Tory and therefore he must have lied…

“To prevent him being able to manipulate venerable students at the University we must ban him.”

Naa Acquah, General , said: “The recent idea which has been submitted by a student to ban David Cameron is an example of us as a union allowing students to openly submit their ideas and policies to our democratic structure. As a Students’ Union, we are committed to empowering our students to shape what the union does or believes by participating in our democratic structures.”

In February a motion was submitted to Senate calling for the banning of controversial and widely unpopular Republican Party nominee Donald Trump from the building.

Senate will take place on the 14th of April. Other motions to be discussed include opposition to bursary cuts, the introduction of an Inclusion Officer in all society committees, and the creation of a dedicated studio for Fuse TV in the new SU redevelopment.

• JJ

I don’t even know where to begin… so a handful of unelected people (bar the ‘exec’ – and oh what a democratic election that was) are going to decide on behalf of the whole student population whether DC can attend the SU, under the guise that they are protecting poor vulnerable students from manipulation? Am I the only one who sees the hypocrisy there? This whole story is too stupid and unbelievable for words, the senate is totally undemocratic for a start because everyone is of identical political persuasion. And is Naa Acquah and her lefty exec really trying to use allowing this lefty motion as evidence of the University’s open democratic structure? Evidence of that would be ‘allowing’ a motion you don’t agree with – not one you obviously do! But oh well, what a great day this will be for all attendees, none of that silly disagreement business to slow it down. Deciding the conclusion at the start allows us all to spent more time to discussing the right answer, all over a nice hot bowl of chickpea curry, for the good of those poor 40,000 vulnerable students.

• Naa Acquah

Hey JJ you have hit the nail on the head I don’t agree with this policy and have still allowed it to be debated. So is this now an example of transparency?

• adam

Thank you O great leader for allowing us to “debate” this policy, as it was and always been at the forefront of Manchester student concerns (unlike those pesky issues such as the lack of computer spaces in the main library, or anti Semitism on the rise in Student Unions and student politics). I hope our completely democratically legitimate dear leaders vote in the students interest, as they indisputably always have done, and have never, ever voted to further their own political aims or in accordance with their own political and religious opinions. Thank you m’lord. thank you! I bow down to your superior judgement.

• Pog

Hello Adam – I am a representative of a fantastic new product I think you will love! Are you tired of having to think for yourself? Do you feel like breaking down when you have to make a decision? Do you wish that other people could get just on with making pesky policies on your behalf? Well then – boy do I have the thing for! ‘Nacquahmilk!’ – now you can feel safe suckling the sweet milk of our benevolent Gen Sec whilst she makes all those difficult decisions on your behalf, which a silly pleb like you really shouldn’t vex his brain thinking about. Whenever you feel like thinking just whip out a bottle of ‘Nacquahmilk’ and suckle on the sweet lactate of our Gen Sec, knowing that everything will be alright when you’ve grown up and have learned that unless you’re getting involved to agree, you shouldn’t be getting involved at all! ‘Nacquahmilk’! Available now for a limited time only at a special new introductory price of only £19.99/ bottle*.

* 100% of your money will be donated to the ‘chickpea curry fund’ – because you can’t make the right decisions without the right food!

• adam

Hahaaa! Where do I sign?!

• N

Please sign this – https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/123469

We here, with utmost integrity, assure you that is the order form. We hope you will put as much trust in us as we put in you.

Thanks,

‘Nacquahmilk!’ – Naa, Acquah you’re wrong™