The Mancunion

Britain's biggest student newspaper

Lead your hall

“Party Planner? Entrepreneur? Leader?” then nominate yourself to lead your hall


If you live in University managed Halls of Residence you can nominate yourself to be a part of your halls RA/JCR here.

Every University run Halls of Residence has a Residents’ Association (RA) or Junior Common Room (JCR). All students who live in the hall are members of this group and the membership fee is included in their rent. These fees go into a fund which is used to run socials, trips, events and sporting activities for all residents throughout the year.

Every year a new committee of students is elected to represent their fellow residents and put on a range of events, sports and services for students living in their hall.

Jack Lofthouse, the Residents’ Association Support Intern at the University of Manchester’s Students’ Union told The Mancunion: “Last year was a great year for halls RA/JCR committees and we want to keep the momentum going and build on this success. We need enthusiastic, proactive and creative students to nominate themselves for this year’s elections”.

He added: “Standing in any student election is a great thing to do while at University, and standing for a role on your RA/JCR is no exception. It’s a great chance to get stuck into Halls life and meet loads of new people while developing all kinds of organisational, event management and communication skills”.

The Students’ Union  will support the committees in achieving their goals throughout the year.

For more information and to see what positions are available in your hall follow this link