Live: The Lumineers

The Lumineers delivered a dynamic display of their talents in an emotional and passionate show, writes Ruth Foran

23rd October at O2 Apollo

9/10

The Lumineers, having previously played in the city as the support act for The Civil Wars, took Manchester by storm as they embarked on the first leg of their UK Tour. Bringing their new number one album Cleopatra to life, as well as giving the audience many of their already loved songs such as the famous ‘Ho Hey’ and the all singing, all dancing ‘The Big Parade.’

The opening act was Bahamas, a Canadian band with an interesting dynamic, delivering multiple songs with a breezy, relaxed feel, some even sounding tropical in parts. Lead singer, Afie Jurvanen, had no trouble getting this much older audience up on their feet. Surprising the audience with controlled but seemingly effortless, smooth guitar solos, this act set the perfect energy in order to welcome The Lumineers on to the stage. The Apollo was brimmed to the doors, filled with a lovely and homely atmosphere.

To say The Lumineers are talented is a complete understatement. From the word ‘Go’, each member gave nothing but maximum effort and charisma, completely dominating the stage with each song. The stage was filled with various instruments — guitars, cello, percussion, piano, mandolins — which each member played at various points in the show, showcasing each of their talents. The stage was lit by soft lights, and the band looked just as happy to see the audience as we were to see them. They offered a welcoming vibe, as we watched them fully enjoy themselves the entire night, fist-bumping and offering each other supportive laughs and smiles.

After the best-known hit ‘Ho Hey’, lead singer Wesley Schultz asked the audience to “put their phones away and let’s just be here together” — that we were. The audience came together and offered the band their full attention, phones seeming completely unnecessary. The singer became intimate with the audience, speaking throughout the concert about his father, who died of the cancer 9 years ago — the same kind of cancer which took his grandmother’s life also. He gave a heart-wrenching performance of ‘Long Way From Home’ which left audience members in silent tears. With heavy percussion and beautiful cello harmonies, this band successfully changed their dynamics for each song, offering a range of tones and moods throughout.

As the set ended, each member of the band came together in a group hug to celebrate the success of their set, leaving the audience feeling elated.

For a band that seemingly is yet to be fully appreciated, it is safe to say The Lumineers celebrate every victory in their stride — remaining just as passionate as their fans.