laura-joyce

New Year New Manchester

Manchester’s most exciting arts and culture events in 2017

Manchester is no stranger to top-notch arts and culture, and it looks as if 2017 will be no exception for the city. With more art galleries and museums than is humanly fathomable, it’s clear that we are truly spoilt for choice.

Following the roller-coaster that was 2016, we welcome a new year of high-end anticipation regarding what art in Manchester has to offer. Manchester, we love you, and here are three upcoming and exciting reasons why:

John Hyatt: Rock Art
4th February-29th March 2017
HOME

Here at the Mancunion, we love HOME. There is always a new and exciting exhibition to be found, not to mention the great atmosphere and the fact that they provide us with a cool place to watch the most exciting indie films. They also find fantastic and prolific modern artists and provide the perfect platform for their innovative work.

One such artist is John Hyatt. A ‘punk professor’ at the Liverpool School of Art & Design, and one-third of the 1980s post-punk band The Three Johns, Hyatt will undertake a gallery takeover starting in February. The exhibition is drawn from a wide range of influences, including the afterlife, alter-ego, magic and metamorphosis.

Hyatt produces works that are truly one-of-a-kind, with the promise of intrigue at every turn. He even invites visitors to enjoy a limited edition hot beverage in the form of Hyatt-as-a-blend-of-tea. This is definitely one show that is not to be missed.

Rip It Up: A Celebration of the Counter Culture
16th February 2017 6pm-9pm (one night only event)
The John Rylands Library

Keeping it close to home at the University of Manchester, this event is set to be a real eye-opener. Described as ‘an evening of experimentation and celebration of the counter-culture’, the exhibition is a part of the library’s ongoing Off-Beat show. The exhibition focuses on experimental art of the 1960s, and allows us to view (and hear) it in a truly unique fashion. Visitors will have the opportunity to take part in the ‘zine’ workshop and create their own ripped-up mini-mag. So retro.

As if that wasn’t enough, to end the evening, there will be a live performance of music, spoken word and video from experimental artists Devi. The exhibition will take place between 6pm and 8pm and is free to enter.

Lucienne Day: A Sense of Growth
1st April – 11th June 2017
Whitworth Art Gallery

The Whitworth is without a doubt a personal favourite when it comes to exciting exhibitions and this year already has me itching to visit as often as is physically possible. As part of the nationwide Lucienne Day centenary celebrations, this collection is set to open in the Spring of this year. Virtuoso pattern designer and colourist Lucienne Day (1917-2010) was an enthusiastic gardener, and so it is no surprise that so many of her designs were floral-inspired.

The show is affiliated with the gallery’s innovative GROW project. The inspiring project almost mirrors the popular idea of mindfulness, and promotes the inclusion of horticultural activities in our lives in order to benefit mental wellbeing. The works chosen to be displayed at the Whitworth have been chosen by those within the local community who are struggling with social isolation and other issues surrounding mental health.

The Whitworth manage to collaborate art with a sense of community, and once again, this is a show that I predict you will not want to miss.

Well, Manchester, you’ve done it again. This is simply a taster of what’s to come over the next twelve months. Needless to say, we’ll be on the edge of our seats.

Four women who make the art world a better place

To celebrate International Women’s Day 2024, we asked our writers to tell us a bit about their favourite women artists.

Sonny Angels: The art history behind your new best friend

Sonny Angels are going viral on TikTok right now, but did you know there’s a long art historical tradition behind the adorable dolls?

The Whitworth’s Dürer Exhibition is coming to an end: Have you seen it yet?

Dürer, German’s Renaissance painter and theorist, has made a home for himself at The Whitworth. Visit profound work soon before he’s gone…

Review: FACE TO FACE at the Fête of Britain

Brian Eno’s installation FACE TO FACE at Aviva Studios invites focus and contemplation on the state of things and how we might change them.