sarah-jane-thoms
31st January 2017

Preview: Manchester Film Festival

A taste of what is yet to come in the ever growing annual film festival in 2017

After attending the official press release for the festival a couple of weeks ago, I must say, I have big expectations for some of the films that are going to be screened. This year, all films that are part of the Manchester Film Festival will be shown across several screens in the Odeon situated within The Printworks and will be powered by Metrolink. Unlike previous years when films have been screened across various locations that were part of the festival, this choice to use one location will provide a more connected vibe and is something that the organisers and directors of the festival seem very excited about.

The three strands of films for this year’s festival are Rising Stars, Be Who You Are, Say What You Feel and Women in Film. The Rising Stars strand offers the upcoming and emerging talent for both in front of and behind the camera, including the anticipated film Katie Says Goodbye, starring Olivia Cooke whilst the Be Who You Are, Say What You Feel strand is a selection of films that centre around the themes of acceptance and freedom, including Ben Price’s Taubman starring Jack P Shephard and the Brazilian feature Public Intimacy.  This year’s Women in Film strand is interesting and inspirational. With over thirty pieces of work by female directors being screened at the festival, including the Hollywood great Karen Allen’s A Tree, A Rock, A Cloud, there are definitely films in there that are going to be talked about well after this year’s Manchester Film Festival is over with.

The final film line-up has been created from an incredible amount of submissions, meaning that the festival is showcasing amazing pieces of work from all around the world right here in Manchester. Appearances and Q&A’s from Timothy Spall, Karen Allen and Stef Dawson have also been confirmed and with the option for audiences to buy a pass that admits you to either all of the documentaries, all of the short films or all of the feature lengths, there really is something for everyone at the Manchester Film Festival. The festival runs from the 2nd-5th March, so put the dates into your diary because it is something that I promise you will not want to miss.

Priscilla review: Coppola gives voice to the voiceless

Sofia Coppola is back with another portrait of girlhood, this time showing the life of Priscilla Presley beyond Elvis’ shadow