Lemon and Halloumi Courgetti

A brilliant mid-week meal which proves that low-carb and vegetarian doesn’t have to be boring

Ingredients:

Two handfuls of new potatoes

One bunch of fresh lemon thyme

Salt and pepper

Two tbsp sunflower oil

One large red onion

One tbsp each of red wine vinegar and light brown sugar

One large red chilli

Two cloves garlic

One large lemon

200ml chicken stock

500g courgetti

200g halloumi

One tbsp plain flour

One tbsp each of dried oregano and dried thyme

One handful fresh flat leaf parsley

Method:

Preheat oven to 190C. Chop the new potatoes in half and add to a roasting dish with the fresh thyme and a pinch each of salt and pepper and the oil. Roast these for approximately 40 minutes or until crisp, turning every fifteen minutes. Chop the onion and add to a pan on a gentle heat with the sugar and vinegar. Cook these on a low heat until the onions have become to caramelise, approximately 15 minutes. Add to the pan the garlic and the chilli, both finely diced, and cook for five minutes. Zest and then juice the lemon and add half of each of these to the pan, along with the chicken stock. Bring the heat to the boil and then reduce to simmer. Simmer for approximately 10 minutes, or until the chicken stock has reduced by half. After five minutes of simmering add the courgetti to the pan to begin to cook. Cut the halloumi into slices approximately 1cm thick. In a separate bowl mix together the oregano, thyme and pinch of salt and pepper with the flour. Add the halloumi to this and mix until coated. Heat a griddle pan, or if not available just a frying pan, and add a dash of oil. Fry the halloumi over a medium heat until the coating begins to go golden brown, approximately five minutes. To finish, remove the courgetti pan from the heat and then finely chop and add the fresh parsley. Next add the cooked potatoes and the halloumi and finish with seasoning to taste, along with the remaining lemon juice and zest.