callum-lunn

Live: Tash Sultana

Tash leaves a lasting effect on her audience

28th October, 2017 — Manchester Academy 2

I wasn’t sure what to expect going to see Tash Sultana at Manchester Academy.

Although she didn’t begin with a welcoming speech, she asked anyone racist or homophobic to “get the fuck out,” and the audience welcomed her with cheers.  One might say it was not very appropriate for her to do this, but it set the tone and sent a definite message: Tash is here, and she has no time for your shit.

I had initially seen her on YouTube and I had seen her rock some small setups on my screen, but wasn’t sure how she would handle a full stage. Now, having seen her for myself, it’s pretty safe to say: from her first step onto the stage, her presence connected with the crowd.

I’ve rarely seen someone with so much energy and passion on stage and with such a great ability to transmit it to her audience. Everyone was so switched on to Tash and you could feel the love in the room. Starting with ‘Gemini’, a song from her first album, Notion, she created a magical atmosphere, her universe of creation, and took all of us there with her.

Musically, I was pretty astounded. A mix of soft pads, shredding solos on guitar, mandolin and trumpet, and even a bit of pan-pipe beat-boxing at one point, Tash filled the room with a depth of sound, such that it is hard to believe it was all created by one person. However, seeing her layer the soundscape with her loop-pedal, you don’t need to believe, you just have to sit back and let the waves wash over you.

Tash has definitely been one of my favourite live performances, and I look forward to seeing where she goes next. I’m excited for her.

— Review by Mirela Soca —

10/10