ginahshergill

High-street vs high-end makeup

Ginah Shergill reveals her top makeup dupes so that you don’t break the bank but can still achieve that expensive look

As students, budgeting is key. Diving into my makeup bag I have selected four staple buys that will leave you looking fab and won’t leave you stressing over your bank balance. Of course, we all have a luxury splurge now and then. Luckily, there are so many affordable, quality brands such as NYX and Sleek that really give high-end makeup a run for its money.

–        Nyx pore filler vs benefit The Pore-fessional

Enlarged pores are a nuisance so when I got my hands on the Benefit Pore-fessional face primer balm (£26) I was enthralled with the silky texture that smoothed my skin instantly.

However, due to the steep price, I continued my search for something more student friendly. Then, I came across NYX Pore Filler (£11) for half the price. Offering an outstanding dupe that does exactly what it says on the bottle. It can be used alone, or underneath makeup to ensure you have a smooth, flawless base. This is closest to the Benefit product I have found, definitely a keeper!

Mancunians celebrate end of Mugabe’s reign

Gloss is back. Finally, the craze for matte finish lips might just be over.  So, on my hunt for the shiniest, glitteriest gloss I could find, Kikos 3D hydro lipgloss (£7.90) struck me immediately. This lustrous gloss with a sparkly finish is encased in a heavy bottle and boasts a luxurious wand. This product can be compared to the likes of Huda beauty and her lip strobes, as well as Jouers lip toppers (£15).

–        Sleek Cleopatras kiss highlighter palette vs high end highlighters

You own a highlighter right? I mean we all do nowadays. From Anastasia Beverly Hills palettes, to Huda Beauty, these are undisputedly the best holographic, pigmented highlighters out there. However, we don’t all have a ballers budget to get our glow on. Therefore, I was so excited to have been given the Sleek Cleopatra’s Kiss palette (£9.99) a year ago for my birthday and I am an official convert. There are two cream highlighters; one in a silvery gold, the other a subtle bronze and two powders in rose gold and gold. The colours are highly buildable and work amazingly alone, or blended together to emit a blinding sheen.

– Sleek mate lipstick red vs MACs ruby woo

It is essential that every makeup bag has a classic, bold red lipstick. MACs Ruby Woo (£16.50) is extremely popular for obvious reasons. It has a long lasting, matte finish in a highly pigmented red that suits every skin tone. However, I have found its rival and for only a fiver. Sleek, a high-street saviour, has a range of velvety, luxury feel liquid matte lipsticks. The formula is non sticky, non- drying and does not budge, even after several drinks on a night out. The stunning bright ‘rioja red’ (£4.99)  is my go to for red lipstick and I don’t think I’ll be converted to designer lipsticks any time soon.

3D nails: Achieving new heights in beauty

Does the rise of 3D nail art in the wake of the ‘clean girl’ beauty era signal the resurgence of maximalism? Where did the 3D nail trend begin and where can you get your own unique set?